Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
difficulty
Mar 20, 2007 by Joshua3109

I was wondering if grinding rails with these is hard. I have seen videos were people who are good with these are falling a good few times. So can you reliably hit a rail or is it like super hard to stay on?
Replies

Mar 20, 2007matrix8967

It's all on the approach...if you puss out in mid air, you'll mess up, like i did once. if you can get on the rail, your cerebellum will keep balance for you. if you feel like you're going to fall, jump, bail, tuck and roll. it's not that hard to stay on the rail, it's getting on the rail that's hard for me. (because all the rails in my town are really tall) don't do anything you're not sure about, but still, be gutsy.

---Alex

Mar 20, 2007Joshua3109

haha thanks for the info. Because I plan on using these in my local mall and well I dont want to be in the middle of a chase from the security guard who thinks he's a cop and try to grind a rail to fall.

Mar 20, 2007DarkVermillion

Nice info Alex. ^^
Here's how I do it, I'm come from a slant, you shouldn't go straight at the rail because you'll never lock your grindplates, if you don't lock and land on the front of your shoe, you can either try to ride it out (if the rail is really waxed) or bail, you should usually bail because you'll mess yourself up if you try and ride it out and slip. As far as balance goes, try to land on the top of the rail, if you don't and don't go far enough, or too far, your throw your weight in that direction and probably jump off. Never look at your feet while grinding because you'll lose concentration, and... Make sure you can slide the rail before you do it, because if it's really rough, you'll throw yourself forward and ouch.

Mar 20, 2007Slidey

"Never look at your feet while grinding?"
thats madness, I always do lol. That way I don't bail as bad when I land wrong.

Mar 20, 2007DarkVermillion

Well I don't because I usually know where I'll land, the only time I'd ever look down is if I'm on a stair rail and I didn't want to land and snap my ankle. XD

Mar 21, 2007SonicSoaper

When it comes to the old "run up to the grinding surface diagonally" technique, I sometimes swing my arms out like I'm throwing a bowling ball between my legs, just to get the distance and angle right.

Mar 30, 2007rhinoskater30

I'd like to see you soap HE HE

Mar 31, 2007SonicSoaper

I said SOMETIMES, nutjob. And I only do that when teaching people how to Soap.

Apr 4, 2007SonicSoaper

MUAHAHA EMAIL!

Apr 4, 2007kobansora

EMAIL! What?

I haven't gotten used to jumping onto waist high rails yet... Only because I jump with my front foot first because I'm afraid of accidentally sliding too fast and racking myself. Back foot first is too un natrual for me..

~JJ

Apr 4, 2007AnthoFlex

JJ, you sk8 don't you?

Apr 4, 2007mgm

Hey can anyone run parallel to a rail and jump on? I think it would look cooler because you would have a lot more speed and it would look smoother.

Apr 4, 2007sam

Try an unsmooth rail, like how most aluminum bike racks are if you want to learn backfoot first, beacause your back foot wont slide out and you wont rack yourself bigtime.

Apr 4, 2007kobansora

Renny:
I used to skate when I was like, 10 lol.

I tried back foot today on the marble box in the laundry room today. I went really slow and I didn't fall yet... Yet! I almost slipped though :c

Today I went on the long kinked rail next to the laundry room and I slipped and almost hit my face on the rail. I need to work grooves into these new BBKs :c They're so much more unsafe than my old ones, which my friend is borrowing to get the feel of what grooved plates feel like I guess.. And for me to groove in his new plates.

~JJ

Apr 5, 2007Rynasty

Here's a good technique for back foot first:
When you jump, don't put your back foot on the rail right away. Let it float above the rail while you bring your other foot (your jumping foot) onto the rail, landing with both feet at almost the same time. This is what I've been doing for years and its a pretty safe method.

Apr 5, 2007Rynasty

Your back foot should still hit first, just instead of a "clink...clink" it will be a "clinkclink".

Apr 5, 2007kobansora

HAha I'll try that later.

~JJ

Apr 5, 2007AnthoFlex

sk8 dude, skateboard

Apr 5, 2007Slidey

Ryan certainly knows what hes talking about.
That "clinkclink" is a sound of pure bliss =P

And if you look at any pro soaping vid, (such as some of UKFSW's) you will see that they ALWAYS get onto waist high rails like that.

Apr 5, 2007kobansora

Yeah I saw that.

Pleasseee say "SKATEBOARD, DUDE" to me :/ I don't want to skateboard lol.

~JJ

Apr 5, 2007matrix8967

i go front foot first, and i would have racked myself but instead i landed on my tailbone and almost broke it...just it's almost more dangerous to go front foot first, trust me. but i still do it, because i'm working on going backfoot first, and until i get it, it'll be the old front foot.

---Alex

Apr 5, 2007rhinoskater30

I can go either, I prefer back foot first because it gives me more control. Going front first is really good if you are good at it because it gives more speed, just a little less control.

Apr 6, 2007SonicSoaper

I love going back foot first. I love it a lot, just ask Renny.

Apr 6, 2007AnthoFlex

yea he does, and out of the whole EOB, you do it properly

Apr 6, 2007matrix8967

i think backfoot first looks better. I'm gonna keep trying to get it.

Apr 6, 2007kobansora

I'm TRYING to go back foot first but I don't know how to do it or approach things with back foot first :c

Well, here's a story from today:

I always go front foot first. Well, today I went down a rail with two kinks. I waxed it hella for the past month and now it goes REALLY fast! It's basically a long straight rail, one kink, a short straight (connecting the kinks), another kink, and then a really long straight rail, all connected. Well I went down both kinks and went down on the last straight fine. I was chill until I back foot slipped and I totally racked myself... Hooray for speed!

~JJ
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Alexei Tajzler and Kyle Lefler hittin a Synchronized Soaping
Yassir playing on the playground
Aaron Taraboletti hittin a Frontside
Anthony Soto hittin a Frontside
Louis Selby styling out a tweaked UFO for the cameras during the UKFSW Ipswich trip.