Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Just a small idea, wonder what you all think
Mar 26, 2007 by SapAuthor

I was looking at inline skates, and i see you can have boots of the skateas seperate from the wheels, so you can modify and stuff. The main problem with Heelys is they are SOOOO uncomfertable, it hurts to heel, and you cant get any speed other than an initial take off, and you have to balance awkwardly.

So, me and renny were talking, what would u guys say if they came out with a SOAP shoe, taht you can attach a solid plate that had two real inline skates on hte front and back, and still allowed you to grind with your plates. The wheel plate would attach and cover the entire sole, so you woudln't ahve the balance issues, and you could go fast by simply doing the same motion inliners do, plus bigger plate, and you get SOAPs uber comfertable feel because in essence, they are still SOAPs. And when you are done, you can detach the wheel plate, and you ahve your regular SOAP shoes.

I'm labeling an unofficial copyright on this, don't want anyone taking hte idea, but i want to know what you all think? I could figure out a design that would not compromise the shoe's comfert, bendability, etc. What do you all say, may be a fun project to try to do :P maybe over the summer.
Replies

Mar 26, 2007kobansora

Sounds like some Air Gear stuff..

http://www.fullstop.se/mangamania/bilder/airgear/airgear_intro.gif">

Except the wheels aren't detatchable there lol. But yeah,l it sounds like a good idea..

Just make them airgear style.

~JJ

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

http://www.sonicandpals.com/images/inlinesoap.JPG">

Kind of like this

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

woops, let me try that again

http://www.sonicandpals.com/images/inlinesoap.JPG">

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

I dunno, you would have to carry around two thin plates, but i don't see why you woudlnt' be able to just throw those in your backpack. And since it's a full plate, you don't ahve to worry about the balance issues of Heelys. Also, aggressive inline skates with grind plates often only have two wheels, so there is no reason why that wouldn't work there, plus you could put in higher bearings for faster results. Just messing with ideas, maybe i'll try to build a prototype out of my old and busted up express, i can afford to trash them lol, renny can verify, they area pretty tattered.

Mar 26, 2007Surfaced

I think theres already an inline skate much like that... I can't remember the name, however.

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

although, i guess it's the same thing as this...

http://blog.rollerwarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/inlinenz1.jpg">

Mar 26, 2007kobansora

Those are so freakin wide hahhaa! That'd be a bit.. weird.

I still think the airgear thing woudl look cool except with smaller wheels for grinding room..

~JJ

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

although I would like to keep the SOAP plate...i dunno...i wonder if there would be too high of risk of ankle injury, although since you don't have the ankle support...

Mar 26, 2007kobansora

Ah posted before me lol. I was talking about the blueprint..

But huh... Making a full freestyle frame like that would be cool.. But then you'd might as well buy inlines. The wider wheel space on the Soap blueprint looks kinda weird.... And unstable.

Mar 26, 2007kobansora

You COULD keep the plate...

And you wouldn't have support like you said... But that will just make us that more hardcore.

Ahh allt hese posts lol

~JJ

Mar 26, 2007Rynasty

Shoes are for walking. If you want wheels get some skates. Lets not try to mix the two any more than that...

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

Meh, it's just an idea. I think i'm going to try to build some just for fun, see how well it works. I like going fast, and I love how SOAPs feel, and inline grind plates are pretty thin and don't allow for much tweaking and stuff. Plus they are bulky. Maybe i should just purchase those inline things in the other picture, so i can just put those on when i want to go fast, and then just take them off to SOAP

Mar 26, 2007matrix8967

i'd buy some...hell, could probably make them...using the holes and stuff already in the shoe...but i'm not taking anyones ideas. i'd totally go for some...i've always said "if you're gonna heel, why don't you just get some blades..."

---Alex

Mar 26, 2007kobansora

Because heels are a lot more convenient. Take them off, put them on, you can still walk. :/ Plus grindplates.... But the shoes are ugly and stuff.

SapAuthor you don't know much about aggressive inlining do you lol. The plates are thin, but you don't exactly grind with just the plate. When you tweak, you have a backslide plate on your shell with a groove so you can do royales and stuff. You don't have to tweak it THAT much, to the point of touching the shell, but it all works really well... Today I was even at the skatepark and there was a guy who was aggrssive skating. He did unities and stuff and tweakage wasn't a problem. Don't assume things and talk about it like you know it :/ It annoys me when people do that.

Might as well buy some blades if you're gonna just take the frame.

~JJ

Mar 26, 2007Jard39

i dont know i like the idea then when im walking home from school i can justskate home without bring another pair of shoes

Mar 26, 2007Jard39

ok sry for the double post but maybe u could make something that comes completley seperate of the shoe like more hardware so the u can sell them at ur store to people who already have good SOAPs and dont want to buy maore just for the wheels

Mar 26, 2007matrix8967

I also think the Ambien CR is a nice touch...sponsor maybe? lol

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

lol no, free post its we got that i just used to draw.

I'm looking, there is a system made by Xsjado (the picture above), which (i think) you can put any shoe in (they recommend their slipper shoes though), but the system still runs about 200 -.-and you don't use the SOAP plates, and you have to carry the entire shell, isntead of just a bottom plate.

I was thinking about that though, with the using already existant screws. I could either make a frame that would screw under the grind plate, or make the bottom system THE grind plate, meaning a seperate grind plate that is the entire sole and has the wheeles at the end, made of the nylon plastic or fiberglass, so you just unscrew your replacable plate, and screw on the wheel plate.

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

I think i'm going to do this one, make the SOAP plate into an inline skate set. Here's my more detailed plans. The wheel frame is only 50 bucks, the high psi epoxy is like 6 bucks, and the nylon plastic sheet (1 square foot, .5 inch thick) is 25 bucks, so with wheels and bearings, a job about 100 bucks or so. It's a bit of a risk, not sure if it will work or not, but I think I can do it, take a look at my plans.

http://www.sonciandpals.com/images/design2.jpg">

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

er crap, misspelt it again

http://www.sonicandpals.com/images/design2.jpg">

Mar 26, 2007JeiHeirumaru

Dude,I think that's a cool Idea. I thought of a name for 'em too!

Mar 26, 2007JeiHeirumaru

Oh,And Air gear's awesome

Mar 26, 2007JeiHeirumaru

Short and simple. Call 'em the SOAP "Bladez"

Mar 26, 2007SapAuthor

lol, i doubt these will be going into production any time soon, even if they work great. Cool part is You can make a sort of "average" base, and then these could be sold as a seperate item, they like the ones im making would fit any size 13-14 replacable plated soap shoe. but like i said, i have to see if this will even work or not, in theory it will becuase the force will be less than the massive epoxy psi, the only extra thing I would do is wear an ankle brace to prevent spraining, at least until i know how easy they are to use or not.

Mar 31, 2007SapAuthor

okay, the epoxy didn't hold worth crap. broke right away -.- I talked with steve, he said that they used neoperin based cement back when artimus had SOAPs to attach the cemented on plates, i'm going to get myself a bottle and try it again, it would be cool to get this to work.

Mar 31, 2007Go2Crew

Hey Trev ... that's neoprene cement. The advantage is that it is almost as stong an adhesive as epoxy or cynoacrylate (super glue), but it remains somewhat flexible, so it gives with the shock and motion and doesn't tend to snap or shatter like the two hard-sets.

Mar 31, 2007Slider388

lol I'd so buy these if they made them...
kinda lacks use though. It would be damn awesome if the wheels could retract inside or somethin!

Mar 31, 2007Jard39

yes but if the wheels retracted inside they would be to similar to heelys
and we dont want a pair of heelys with a soap label on thembeing made

Mar 31, 2007SonicSoaper

yes but if the wheels retracted inside they would be to similar to heelys

Or those other old shoes with retractable wheels.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Hugo deLeon hittin a Frontside on the back porch
Aaron Taraboletti hittin a stickin a backslide
Derek Brooks with a backside farfegnugen in a Des Moines parking garage
Trevor G hittin a Front Side
Zack Ricky hittin a Frontside on a long, fat, kinked rail.