Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Plate modification
Mar 26, 2007 by Mart

Since I never grind any stonework, my plates have never had any kind of groove worn into them. So today, after work, I went out and bought a rounded metalwork file, took it to the BBKs on my Vectors and, quite simply, bloody hell. Just working in some royale grooves has made a world of difference; my royales and backslides are now absolutely solid

I rarely had any lock-in problems when I was still kitted out with Slo Bros but, with the absent grooves taken care of, the BBKs are pretty much perfect now. It's surprising how great a difference there is in speed between the two plates

Once I get my video camera back I think I'll have to go out and shoot some video ;)
Replies

Mar 26, 2007Surfaced

Nice. I should try that while my BBKs have plenty of life.

Mar 26, 2007Slidey

You've been soaping how long and you haven't modified any plates yet?

Your gonna be a lot better now lol

Mar 27, 2007AnthoFlex

thats what i did to mine too, but i ddint file it. i burned grooves in there into the shape of octanes.....

they even look like octanes too lol

Mar 27, 2007kobansora

I should do that to my plates shouldn't I...

I should do it before they end up like my boltar plates lol. The sides of the plates on those are completely gone, they kinda curve into the break bar and I can't tweak with them without stopping :c

~JJ

Mar 27, 2007kobansora

Oh btw, what DO tweaking grooves look like? I'll check out the octanes again and stuff but meh lol I want to have a decent idea of how I should file mine down... Or burn them. How do you burn grooves?

~JJ

Mar 27, 2007Mart

I think he meant he melted them. I wouldn't recommend doing that as a loose flame is a tad harder to control than a file

But yeah, all you need to do is just file a groove along the centre of the plates. BBKs are really quite flat so just file along where you'd normally grind. Take it slow though; if you file too quickly the plastic will melt and set in the teeth of the file, rendering it useless

I might take some pictures later if I get round do it. Got the day off work today and a new pickup for my guitar arrived just now, so I'll probably end up spending the rest of the day shredding ;)

Mar 27, 2007AnthoFlex

I didnt use an open flame, i used another way of doing it

Mar 27, 2007AnthoFlex

I heated up a rectagnular metal rob until it was red and set it down into the plate.

It gave me perfect grooves with perfect lock in and speed

Mar 27, 2007AnthoFlex

filing takes WAAAY too long for me.

With the "Burn and Set" method its like

Heat
Red
Set into plate
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Grooves

Mar 27, 2007kobansora

AWesome.

And for the tweak grooves, do I just file down the sides at an angle?

~JJ

Mar 27, 2007Mart

When I said centre I didn't mean on the bottom of the plate; I meant the centre of the whole plate, along where you would grind. I'll get some pics up when I have time, but looking at that b/w royale of Bryndon's on here will give you a good idea of what you should aim for

Mar 27, 2007kobansora

IF I could find it lol. I hope you get the pics up before I kill my plates :O

~JJ
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Zach Larson hittin a Royale
Zach Larson hittin a Royale
Carter Bair soaping for the first time
Abby Bisor hittin a Showing Kevin up with a frontside
Corey Desrochers hittin a Alley-opp Cheese Grater