Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
New to Soaping got a few Q's
Feb 4, 2008 by fusioncell

Hey all Im new here I heard of soaping ages ago but I only just found out you can get em in the uk and was wondering how hard are they? whats the lerning curve and which ones are good to get? oh I can Skate, mountainboard etc
Replies

Feb 4, 2008fusioncell

I guess I should also ask will I still be cool to climb walls and stuff? just I dont wanna buy some then realise I cannot use them how I want

Feb 4, 2008AnthoFlex

They're normal shoes dude. They don't force you to change the way you walk like Heelys do. You can walk in em, run in them, climb, sk8, ride a bike.

It just allows you to grind on rails and ledges whenever you want

Feb 4, 2008AnthoFlex

so you got nothing to worry about

Feb 4, 2008fusioncell

ok cool, so which are the best to go for? I wanna go fast (wow I sound like a 6 year old), I was looking at the T bones as I like the idea of the bit at the back, but I dono whats the difference between them all?

Feb 4, 2008AnthoFlex

Most of the Soap T-bones are factory defective, And the half sole plate only allows you to do sole tricks on your Heel, which (to me) sucks. Its like Heeling on a rail...

I personally like all soaps but my favorite are express. Express are fast, lock-in great, and have excellent control.

Feb 4, 2008xJeremiahx

I don't thinl that knowing how to skate help to much. It does help though because you already know what stance you are and it feels more natural when you try and grind(frontside is like a 50-50)

Feb 10, 2008SilverSpurs

I'm also new to Soaping, I'm waiting for mine to arrive. What exactly can I grind on, rails/curbs/anything with an edge? Also, how long will it likely take me to get used to these, AND will I need to replace the plates from time-to-time? Sorry for all the questions!

Feb 10, 2008AnthoFlex

I'll take this one.

If you ordered on the weekend, you should get it sometime this week/next week.

You will be surprised at all the things you're able to slide on around where you live. You're entire perception of looking at things will change. You're going to scope out every little thing to grind.

If you bought a pair of express from the shop, you dont have to worry about having to replace plates. They're cemented on and last very long.

The shoe itself last extremely long too

Feb 14, 2008SilverSpurs

Mine arrived today, and I'll admit I'm almost scared to try and grind anything! Can someone give me tips for starting off?

Feb 14, 2008xJeremiahx

pick up a 7' to 10' piece of 3" PVC pipe. Practice with that in the grass at first.

Feb 14, 2008Kain

I just walk around and look for really low rails. One way to practice is to jump on and off the rail, trying to land on your grind plates every time. Once you can do that 10x in a row, try to run up to the rail at an angle.

Feb 14, 2008SilverSpurs

Hmm, the pipe idea sounds good. I found some low rails today, felt like an idiot when people came past though. I went back out at night and people were STILL there! I have trouble landing on the plates, I'm always tempted to land on my heels or toes. I DID manage an ALMOST correct grind on a bench, then slipped and landed on my ass! :L

Feb 14, 2008Kain

lol. Just keep practicing. Stand on the rail on your arches for a while and see how long you can balance.

Feb 14, 2008SilverSpurs

Yeah, I'll try that tomorrow. Balance and confidence are my main problems.

When I DO grind though, am I meant to have my feet "flat" or sort of angled?

Feb 14, 2008Kain

at first, have them flat, with the entire arch of your foot sliding along, like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAYykxxbqs

Once you master that, you can try torqued grinds like Royales and Farfs

Feb 14, 2008RamenRadio

For balance, keep your feet separated from each other.

When grinding on a ledge, you need to go on the edge of it and not as much on top of the ledge/painted curb.

On a rail, you need to be on top of it.

Check out the tricktionary at sssoapshop.com for learning how to do tricks.

As for the how your feet have to be aligned?

There isn't any REAL way to do a frontside. You can just have your feet flat, or tweaked like a UFO.

Just do what you think is comfortable

If you need to tweak your feet when doing a frontside? do it.

Like this:

http://www.solidgrind.com/photos/soap-shoes/241/

I had trouble with my frontsides until I started tweaking into a UFO.

Try doing whatever you think is comfortable.

Feb 14, 2008RamenRadio

As for confidence, you should be as confident as anyone.

Just start off small and then go big. You should try to do some ledges more than anything.

Ledges I find are a lot easier to grind than curbs, and they aren't scary.

In fact, I couldn't do backsides on an edge until I started grinding more ledges.

And Silver, I own cobolt boltars too :D

Nice shoes, eh?

Feb 14, 2008RamenRadio

HEY SILVER! I'm 17 too!

haha

Feb 14, 2008SilverSpurs

Yeah, I love them already! And thanks for all the tips guys :D

Out of interest, anyone here from the UK?

Feb 14, 2008Kain

hey silver, where'd you get your soaps?

I can't find any anywhere.....

Feb 14, 2008SilverSpurs

I found mine at www.rawk.com, there's a link down the bottom somewhere to the SOAPs

Feb 14, 2008Kain

Um.....why are all the prices in pounds?

Feb 14, 2008SilverSpurs

It's a UK site. I think they ship overseas though

Feb 14, 2008Kain

....*dies*..........

Every soap dealer in America is dead X_X

Feb 14, 2008RamenRadio

SilverSpurs, there's a huge soap team in the UK

They are called the UKFSW (FSW is freestylewalkers)

Feb 14, 2008RamenRadio

There are soooooo many soapers in the UK man.

Solidgrinder Slidey is in the UK, Mart is in the UK, Dunk is in the UK.

Send me an email at mysolidgrindaccount(ramenradio)(at)gmail[dot]com

I can't leave you the link because of spam, so my account is my email at gmail

I'll send you the links to their myspaces. Try not to bug them because they are supposed to be busy, but they usually login to their myspaces.

Feb 14, 2008Kain

geez, if they don't get some good soaps here soon, I'm gonna buy 'em from that UK site

Feb 14, 2008Revengasaur

I really wanted to get a bunch of soaps from rawk, but they don't ship to the U.S.A. :/

Feb 14, 2008RamenRadio

They offered me a pair of size 11 smoke scabs.

:/

That's all they have left. damn them man.

Feb 14, 2008SilverSpurs

Probably got taken in the sale they just had on

Feb 16, 2008SilverSpurs

Just thought I'd post to say;- I pulled off my first GOOD grinds today! I'm getting the hang of it now, so thanks to all those who gave me their advice :D

Feb 16, 2008Kain

Silver,
cool.

btw......if anyone gets enough money.....do you think they'd be able to get most of rawk's soaps and ship them to the USA, then resell them?
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Strider Patton hittin a Frontside at Cornell
Trev G hittin a Front Side
Bart Johnson sliding a handrail at Long John Silvers
Derek Brooks hittin a Frontside
Adam Wasielewski hittin a Sidewalk