Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
which foot?
Apr 15, 2006 by mgm

Does it matter which foot you put on first when jumping on a rail? What are the advantages of both?
Replies

Apr 15, 2006Surfaced

Straight from Wikipedia:

There are two schools of thought for basic frontside/backside grinding with Soap Shoes; the first using the leading leg (your right foot if you are goofy and vice versa for regular) as the leg you leap off, landing with your back foot on the rail/ledge/etc. first and subsequently placing your leading foot on moments later. The second technique is to leap off your trailing leg (left foot if goofy etc.) and place your leading foot on the rail/ledge/etc. first following it with your trailing foot moments later. You can also endeavour to land both feet simultaneously on the rail.

There is little advantage from one technique to the other; leading leg first often yeilds more speed but this is at the expense of control, and abandoning a trick if your trail leg fails to lock onto the obstacle proves difficult without risking injury, as your leading leg will be sliding away from you. On the other hand, the trail leg first technique is much more controlled and safer in the event of poor execution, but speed is sacrificed.

The technique used is mostly based on preference due to your natural bias. e.g. a right footed person who is of regular stance(the most common combination) will find it far easier to leap off their left foot and land with their right foot on the rail first using the trailing leg technique outlined above.

May 1, 2006AnthoFlex

I'm regular and i always land my front foot

first...if i try to land my backfoot first, i

bust my ass to very painful and dangerous

porportions....so it all depends on

you...make ur own style of grinding...if u do

what u are told....u might get hurt.

May 2, 2006Primal

I'm regular and usually land on either foot. I'm just pedodextrous like that.

Saying that, though, I've noticed that my right plate is showing a lot more wear than my left... that may say something about my grind style.

May 3, 2006Sugarfree

Dude everybody on those videos usually does the back foot first but i myself have to do the front foot, it just feels like you've locked on better. the only disadvantage is if you're running and about to do a frontside and your sole hooks up instead of your plate, then you tend to eat it lol. But anyway I say do what is comfortable for you, there's no right or wrong way :) Sugarfree

May 3, 2006AnthoFlex

i agree surfaced...i HAVE to land my front foot first.....but i think imma teach myself how to do both
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Trevor G hittin a Front Side
Dillon Morris hittin a Frontside
Derek Brooks hittin a Backside Farfegnugen
A kid sliding on the Soap Van
Ryan Armstrong hittin a Frontside