Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Hi, i'm new
Aug 8, 2006 by Fearlyss

Hi, I've been reading this site for about 2 weeks or so and you guys seem to be really helpful and nice.
I'm pretty indecisive but eventually decided to buy soaps, I ordered Clean Graphite ones off Rawk.com as they looked cool and if I hated soaping I could just use them as normal.
Im not a skater or anything and I'm sorta clumsy (I walk into things that aren't there), do you think these would be alrite to try and learn on? It took me ages to decide between these and MB Tanks and just wanted an opinion from someone who knew what they were talking about.
Thanks, Lyssa :)
Replies

Aug 8, 2006AnthoFlex

Umm...they both seem like decent shoes....Ur may just have a problem with the plate....The UHF originals are pretty bad or in MArt's case, completely useless....Imma be on the useless side...just not as hard...They are pretty bad, i suggest getting either the MB tanks or Cleans, then grab sum BBKs...hope this helps

Aug 8, 2006Fearlyss

Thanks for you help, thats what was getting me thinking I made a bad choice. Wasn't sure where to get the BBKs but a quick look shows that I can get them on Ebay, does mean shipping from America though and I didn't really want to be spending more money. I can cancel the shoes I've ordered as they haven't been dispatched if I need to but I think it would warrant a lecture from my mum. It was a 'please mum let me order them now scenario' and I will get the 'I told you to think it over longer lecture'. I suppose I should leave it, try them out and if I hate the plates I could buy the BBKs which are $12 including shipping so looks likes its worth it. I really wanted to try soaping as it looks really cool and i'm already badgering my cousin into getting some.

Aug 8, 2006SapAuthor

its a good idea, i doubt you are a size 11-12, i still have those pair of replacement place BBK grey's that i have sitting around. And if you are clumbsy, start easy, www.sonicandpals.com/soaps/index.htm <- read that stuff, expecially about starting out, it shows using PVC pipe and some video.

Aug 8, 2006Fearlyss

Thanks again, nope im sadly not size 11-12, I ordered UK size 8 which should be alright. Your site is really cool and I've been watching the videos :) We have some of that piping in the garden according to my mum so I shall start out on that. I'm not about to start anything crazy, im usually a bit on the safe side. I think I will order BBK's or ask for them for my birthday. Thanks for your support.

Aug 8, 2006Mart

Word, you're the same size as me

The UHF Originals are fine for beginners, but once you start getting better their limitations start to become apparent. The good thing about the old styles is that you can change the plates, so by all means keep the Cleans on order

Plates off eBay are so cheap, and since Sterling is about to hit the 2$ mark it'll be even cheaper for you to switch over to BBKs once you get tired of the UHF Originals; I'd advise ordering a full set of replacement screws at the same time, as the screw heads wear down quite quickly if the shoes are on your feet all the time

Another site to check out is Soap Shoes Online (http://www.soapshoes.info">http://www.soapshoes.info), it contains a huge archive of videos, and pictures, as well as hosting a comprehensive list of tutorials; these are soon to be supplemented with video tutorials to demonstrate how the grinds are done for real. And it's run by us UKFSW boys in England ;)

Aug 12, 2006Fearlyss

I was sure I had replied to this thread but obviously I didn't... Thanks again for all your support, my soaps came on Wednesday and I have been trying them out on the PVC pipe we had spare. It was really hard
to persuade my self to land on the plates and not the ball of my foot but I did it eventually and I can grind that bit of pipe, yay! Its really short though and maybe 2" diameter max and sorta squashes into an oval if I jump too hard but my dad says he will bring me something from work.

Its cool to know there are people who soap around England, I live in Northamptonshire. Im going to try and get my cousin into it, he's usually up to try anything and then I can practice with him.

I shall also get some new plates and screws when I get some more money or something. So thanks, you guys have been really helpful. :D
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Zach hittin a Royale
Derek Brooks hittin a Backside Farfegnugen
Zach hittin a makio at the Cedar Rapids demo
Brett Dierker with a UFO
Derek Brooks hittin a Alley-opp Mizuo