Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
New to the scene, Looking at shoes, need advice.
Aug 24, 2006 by snares

Hi guys, i searched through the forum a little but didnt exactly find the answers. Forgive me if i missed them, i'm tired (worked a night shift).
Anyways, i'm looking at some shoes online :-
The T-Bone (Grey).
Scab (Black).
This will be my first pair and i like both the styles.
I read here that the T-Bone has a tendancy to 'fall apart' after a while. While i understand that all shoes do this, having read it a number of times, it does make me think twice about buying the T-Bone.
Also the T-Bone has fixed plates.

The Scab on the other hand has removable plates, so i would expect to get more use out of the shoe itself as i could just replace the worn plates etc.
Now i have yet to see anyone comment regarding the scabs durability and or wieght/comfort-factor.

I'm kinda swaying towards the scabs at the moment (i havent even looked at different plates yet, i thought i'd wait untill i needed new ones. lol).
But i thought i would just ask for your input regarding these shoes.
Any additional information/advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated (i know i said i wasnt looking at plates yet, but if you wish to add anything regarding the plates, please doso as i'm new to the scene and only know so much).
Thanks.
Replies

Aug 24, 2006Mart

T-Bones are a waste of time. The Scabs are good, solid shoe, very durable and there are a lot of nice colourschemes in that style. As for weight, I can't comment, although the older styles (Scabs and Cleans were the first styles produced back in '97) were the heaviest of the bunch. However, if the Scabs are ridiculously heavy then they wouldn't have become one of the most popular Soap styles

Plates-wise with the Scabs can go one of two ways; you'll either be lumbered with UHF Originals, or if you're lucky you'll score a pair with Slo Bros. UHF Originals will do you fine until you get your frontsides and balance sorted, but after that you'll want to get your hands on some BBKs or Slo Bros. There's been numerous discussions about the pros and cons of certain plates in this forum, it shouldn't be too hard to find out more info about them

Aug 24, 2006AnthoFlex

I should consider myself lucky, i bought 2 scabs, one for me, one for my friend, From Steve of course *you the man dude* and we both scored Slobros....well, i scored slobros and my friend scored UHF Original AND the Slobros.

Aug 24, 2006snares

Thanks for the info guys, its much appreciated.
I was looking at a different site and i think i'm going to go for the scab.
Should get them next week, then i get to go out and bust myself up a bit :D. (no really thats a fun thing)

Aug 24, 2006Wesker

T-Bones are good if you can't score Broadsides. It's a solid shoe and you can actually achieve more than one added trick, things get a bit dangerous though with the steep learning curve.

Aug 25, 2006SapAuthor

good luck with the shoes Snares. I wore my SOAP shirt around campas and the brand was recognized by a copule people, pretty fun, I think soap is making a fine recovery so far.

Aug 25, 2006AnthoFlex

I've noticed that a lot of new people looking for SOap Shoes bitch about them wanting replacable plates...Ok, i Understand you want sumthing that you can replace when worn down but, I have the Express', i've had them since February 2006.....I have hit SOOOOO many godamn ledges and SOOOOO many rails with them AND STILL they're NOWHERE NEAR almost dying.....and they've got a (little but very effective) royale groove, and a nice Farf groove (also good for Torques).....SO when ur out there saying "No, i refuse to buy Soap Shoes with fixed plates because SOap Shoes are a bitch to find these days." Consider this.....its now August, ive had these Express since February, and they show NO sign of death in the near future

Aug 25, 2006AnthoFlex

I call it death when you cant use them anymore....Like Dario's Broadsides.....and i apologize if my last comment was so long

Aug 27, 2006SapAuthor

well, antho, remember htat it may not be just that the plates can be replaced when they go bad, but also the kind of plates available. I have my expresses, and htey aren't dieing anytime soon, but i do and did get a pair of ordnance with replacable plates because i wanted to try out the BBK and slowbro plates, which only come with replacable shoes. It could be as big of a factor, dispight not being mentioned and "throwing htem out when they get worn" being mentioned in the initial post. Just a thought.

Aug 29, 2006snares

Well i thought i'd just post back here and thank you all for your comments.
I recently placed an order for some shoes.
I know i said i was going with the scabs, but i got a great deal on some cleans and for my first pair, i thought it'd be silly not to take it (half the price).
Seriously cant wait for these things to turn up, i've been reading up on tricks, watching mass demo's and vids on google and well, i just wanna get em on and go hit-up some stuff :D.
Have a (very small) skate park a mear stonethrow away from my flat with a few ground rails so i'll be over there to practice as soon as they arrive.

Aug 29, 2006Wesker

Awesome. The clean's are a good starter pair (They are the first model of Soap shoes afterall!) and they're quite stylish too!

Have fun!

Sep 1, 2006snares

man i LOVE these shoes.
They arrived this morning. I managed to find a long piece of smooth wood to practice on (layed it on the grass outside). Got a feel for them, then went to the small outdoor skate-park and hit the small rail there.
Progressed to the benches and the larger rails. I want to go back and get this one rail, it starts straight and then goes into a slope, i can do about half of it - i want it all.
No complaints at all with the shoes (UHF plates).
Fell over a few times (twisted my ankle on my last bail, due to a bad landing).
I seem to be more apt with regular stance, i can just about manage goofy but i find it hard, working on that.
Cant seem to get the hang or royal's or anything using the sides of the plate yet either. so its mainly frontside 'standard' grinding for me at the moment. But what a blast. these things frikkin rock.

Sep 1, 2006Rick

If you're rocking UHFs, you're gonna have a really tough time with the tweaks. There's pretty much no angle on the sides, so I'd suggest getting some BBKs. Much better angle, and overall nice plates.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them, too.

Sep 1, 2006snares

yeah i'm looking into different plates, havnt found anywhere to get them yet (UK). Niether of the online stores i previously found have them in stock (only UHF). Kinda sucks, i guess i'll have to check E-bay.

Sep 2, 2006Slidey

if u go 2 ebay and find keemaz then he will shep them pretty cheap from america in about 3 days!

Sep 2, 2006Mart

Technically you should be able to land into a royale with UHFs, and the fact that there's no groove there means you're likely to stay there for the whole grind, but you'll only pull that off if you can royale in the first place. Trying to knock one in from a frontside, however, you're not going to have any luck there

It's good that you're getting well into it so quick dude. Just remember that style comes from the knees for all torqued grinds
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Dunk hittin a Backslide
Derek Brooks hittin a Frontside
Jordan hittin a Fakie Freestyle Backslide
Orr Whartman hittin a Frontside
Paul (JMC) hittin a Farfegnugen