Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Has anyone tried to make their own grind plates?
Apr 20, 2013 by camaro126

I was thinking about it and if you had the right tools you could cut, grind, and drill a slab of metal into the right shape to fit on your shoes. You could do this with plastics as well. Has anyone tried to do that? I was thinking about doing that.
Replies

Apr 21, 2013Relate2Videos

Never tried it but I peetty much know everything you need to know how to build a pair, plus i have tons of grind plates

Apr 21, 2013camaro126

I want to try a metal grind plate and see how well that works. I just sent you an email asking about your grind plates and well you'll see it. haha

Apr 22, 2013Relate2Videos

Ill get back to you later this week

Apr 23, 2013alexei

Metal is going to be heavy, and will tear up any painted rail (if you care). Plastic is definitely your better bet, but you'll need to make the mold from scratch.

Apr 26, 2013Revengasaur

I make my own plates. Actually, my dad used to be a commercial potter, so he's rad at making molds. He showed me the ropes of moldmaking, and works on stuff with me sometimes. We've been going for a couple months now and we're just getting the hang of it really. We have a seemingly perfect prototype we just made. We tested it, but not extensively. But yeah, it's in the works.

Apr 26, 2013camaro126

That's awesome! I hope to hear progress on it in the future.

Apr 27, 2013Relate2Videos

Just remember to use nylon plastic or the plastic from the cutting board. Also I believe the curb busters had a harder plastic than nylon, might want to ask around

Apr 28, 2013Revengasaur

I have looked around for a true replacement for the original material, but most of the nylon I have found needs to be injection molded at high temperature. Using nylon is prohibitively expensive for the most part. If I had access to a pressure chamber and an industrial centrifuge I could use some more advanced materials, but I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. At this point we're trying out different semi-rigid urethane resins. The plates we've made are lighter than nylon, slightly more flexible and about the same durability.

Apr 28, 2013Relate2Videos

If you look for the instructables where that kid turned his old nikes into soap shoes, youll notice that hes using the plastic from a cutting board, whatever that plastic may be.

But you could also use the grind plates steve and I have left and cement them into pairs of shoes. Its not really that hard, you just have to make sure theres A LOT of room for there to be a lot of rubber, so you dont slide on the grind plate when you land. This is why the ordinances are a crappy pair of shoes, because the grind plate was always so close to the ground. Its good to find a pair of shoes that wont have the rubber wear out for a very long time, not so much the grind plates.

But I hope what youre working on comes out great, sounds like youre putting some solid effort into it.

Jun 8, 2013kowalski

Any update on this project, man?

Jun 8, 2013Relate2Videos

Probably not, it's a tad bit hard to have a mold made, and then have liquid hot plastic put into them.

It's an awesome project though.

Jun 8, 2013zelda

it also might be good to find someone who would know the exact plastic that makes bbks and curb busters, because they are slightly different.

Jun 10, 2013Revengasaur

Well I will say this much. As soon as I have extra money and extra time, I'll have as many plates as I could ever want...

Jun 10, 2013kowalski

Cool as fuck.

What shape plates are yours modeled on?

Jun 10, 2013Relate2Videos

revengasaur remember I still have some curb busters to send you before you make some molds.

Jun 10, 2013zelda

i want some octanes

Jun 10, 2013manofmisery

so wait grind places can be replaced too?

Jun 28, 2013Revengasaur

So this project is still under way, but I've run out of discretionary money for the time being. A little more info for you guys though: So far I have only molded the right side plate of a pair of UHFs, but I have new examples of every plate besides octanes in US 11/12. I also have BBK and UHF plates in most sizes, some new, some slightly used including new size 13/14 BBKs. Sadly materials are expensive and the molding process can take time to perfect. Hopefully sometime later this year I can get things moving again. I'll keep everyone updated.

Jun 28, 2013kowalski

Thanks for the update Revengasaur.

This is possibly most important thread on this forum. It is great work you are doing and it is good to hear you have a lot of plates to model your molds on too.

I'd love to hear more about what the materials you are using and costs etc. Maybe we can chat sometime.

Jun 29, 2013Relate2Videos

Might want to look into buying in bulk, a word of advice: getting a business license does wonders for your wallet

Oct 3, 2014Revengasaur

Bump.

Oct 4, 2014Jersey

Are you still working on this? I'd be willing to contribute financially in exchange for some of the finished product.

Oct 4, 2014Jersey

Are you still working on this? I'd be willing to contribute financially in exchange for some of the finished product.

Oct 4, 2014Revengasaur

Yeah man, I'm looking at moving forward on this in the next couple of months. If I start hitting my stride with it I'd be happy to send out prototypes for you guys to grind on.

Oct 6, 2014Jersey

cool man, here's my e-mail address joeyzetec@hotmail.com

Oct 8, 2014mcgrinder2011

Hey Revengasaur, mind If I see some of your prototype plates? I'll be willing to test the plates if you're willing to send some over to me.

Here's my Email if you're interested: mcminer2011@Gmail.com

p.s. you kinda have to capitalize the G In Gmail otherwise it won't work.

Oct 29, 2014Revengasaur

Noted dudes. I'll look into getting some plates together. It's the kind of thing that I'm not jumping up to go do, but it'll happen someday.

Dec 4, 2014Waffle

Is it possible to perhaps 3d print plates?

Jan 30, 2015Waffle

I made a design for a plate with tight lock-on, brake pads and of course small concavities that make you go faster..

Jan 31, 2015mcgrinder2011

That's an interesting design, mind showing us?

Jan 31, 2015Waffle

Yes. I once I get back home I might send it to ya. However i am still making it.

Feb 1, 2015mcgrinder2011

I see. Well be sure not to forget anything on your way back. And I wish you a safe trip back.

Feb 1, 2015Waffle

Thx dude!

Feb 1, 2015justalilslow

I'd be willing to check out the places around here that do 3d printing services and plastic molding for small batch items. would probably cheaper and easier the 3d way. Scan and print while allowing for changes to be made on the fly. Or even something fully customizable.

Mcgrinder. I could use your help for this, I only have size US 9-10 plates in BBK and orginal. If you have a larger sized plate we could use that to get the proportions and make copies.

Feb 1, 2015Waffle

Thats cool bro. I can send you the design of my plate and give it to you so you could try to print it or something.

Feb 1, 2015justalilslow

That's where I have a problem. I have not owned a working computer in years... just a phone.

Also why I'm hoping I could get to meet with Mcgrinder to help out with the email files between us soapers and for long term safe storage of the production model files.

But I figure with how many people are active here, if everyone could help pitch in by selling/donating plates for a while We could do a group by kinda thing. Make a list of who wants what and how many then every one stocks up.

The more plates the better as individual prices might cost less amd possible custom colors. But that's later on after talking to the companies around here to discuss any legal things if the patents are still valid and if this would be cost effective.

just have to start getting the ball rolling.

Feb 1, 2015Waffle

Yea limited editions would also probly sell well.

Feb 4, 2015mcgrinder2011

Hey SlowBro. Just letting you know that I do have larger plates that I could send your way. But I hope that they aren't destroyed later on. I'll check my schedule and check with my Great aunt/Uncle then let you know when I can do so.

Feb 4, 2015justalilslow

Well tomorrow is my day off from work, I'm thinking about going to a place called kopykat 3d printing in Rogers just to get a ruff idea of what a batch would cost.

If it seems to be a reasonable cost option I'd hope to get some support to make this happen.

Feb 5, 2015LIGERZERO7

Good luck slow :D

Feb 5, 2015Waffle

Cool bro try to make some and test em!

Feb 6, 2015mcgrinder2011

Good luck on this Slowbro. Also, I still have those plates if you want them. I'll be headed to the Malco theater on Joyce st. Saturday. If you meet me there at say 12:30 I'll be there around 12:40. Just look for a Green Subaru outback.

Feb 6, 2015mcgrinder2011

If you're free that is.

Feb 6, 2015justalilslow

Wish I was free this weekend. Have to go to Fort smith and sign some papers so I can finally be done with this 6 year stint in the guard.

Feb 6, 2015Waffle

Cool.

Feb 12, 2015justalilslow

So good news. They are willing to make copies (they didn't seem to care about any legal stuff after I explained the story about the company) just have to figure out a number of what we want before they will give a price.

And in even more awesome news found a set of septems in my size and they have the slowbro plates, so another option their for copies.

So really... Who is seriously interested in this? If only a few people then its going to be expesive for small numbers. Like $50 per scan so $100 just for a set of "master" L R plates then the cost would drop as more are made in a batch.

Also could use help with maybe acquiring octane's so others could try them.

Feb 12, 2015justalilslow

Btw I already bid on them so please please don't start a bidding war with me, I don't care for the shoes much. Just want the plates and could flip them to whoever may want them for less.

Feb 12, 2015LIGERZERO7

Nice slow :) Hope you get those septums ;)

Feb 12, 2015Waffle

Try to create a Octane 2.0

Feb 13, 2015justalilslow

Would be cool to do them, but I'll be lucky to get these slow bro plates. If I end up winning the septums...

Which makes me think. BBK or Slowbro? So far it's going to be a couple hundred just for one set of plate designs and a few initial printed plates to figure out what hardness of plastic would work best.

Feb 13, 2015Waffle

SloBro!

Feb 13, 2015Revengasaur

Go for the BBKs. Slobros aren't what you would hope honestly.

Feb 13, 2015Waffle

BBK!

Feb 13, 2015grug250

i really like the slobros to be honest

Feb 14, 2015Revengasaur

Don't get me wrong, slobros are great for rails, but they don't really lock on that well for being the plate with "a built-in groove". You have to break them in just like any other plate, and there's a lot less material there to grind away at. BBK are a little chunkier and would probably serve the masses better if there's only a single option on the table. I find that after having used every plate but Octane I actually like BBKs the best.

Feb 14, 2015grug250

ahh ok yeah true that

Feb 14, 2015Waffle

SloBro no lock-on? My life was a lie!

Feb 14, 2015Revengasaur

It's not that they don't lock on out of the box, they do, just not as well as you'd hope. They kinda have a "Default UFO" thing going on that I don't prefer. Pretty much all the plates preform more or less exactly the same once you get a proper groove going.

Feb 14, 2015Waffle

oh even the Octane?

Feb 14, 2015Waffle

Dude you should make the plates quick release!

Feb 17, 2015justalilslow

Just won the septums. When they come in I'll see about having them copied.

Now who really wants some? I want to have accurate minimum numbers to give them to come up with the price. This could be a one time thing! So speak up now.

Mcgrinder email me at RX_7FD95 hot mail to work out the larger plates.

Feb 17, 2015LIGERZERO7

Nice :) I'm down for a pair :D

Feb 17, 2015grug250

i want some but im a size 12

Feb 17, 2015Waffle

I sadly cant buy any :(

Feb 25, 2015justalilslow

Well just had the septums show up. The slowbro plates are nearly brand freaking new, still has adhesive from the sticker and are a quick release style.

So out of every one that still lurks around here we have 3-4 total. Maybe a batch of 10 sets and that's it?

Mcgrinder I would like to meet up and hit a few rails in Fayetteville area some time.

Feb 25, 2015grug250

i want some but i need size 12

Feb 25, 2015Waffle

Awesome slowbro wnd while you and Ryan (MCG) are at it. Why not record also send us a pic of the rectu... Septums.

Feb 25, 2015justalilslow

Hope that worked. Or just look for Me as justalilislow.

Feb 25, 2015justalilslow

Ok how do you get the photo bucket links to work?

Feb 25, 2015gongon1037

Those look clean.

love the set u got

Feb 26, 2015mcgrinder2011

Man, I'm a little jealous now Slowbro.

Feb 26, 2015grug250

mmm those white cleans

Feb 26, 2015Waffle

I wanthat those reft. . Septum! Shame they ain't got octane

Feb 27, 2015LIGERZERO7

Nice :)

Mar 2, 2015Waffle

Hmmm... Seems like almost no one is active for a while now.

Mar 3, 2015justalilslow

Well everything has been covered in snow for a while. So I have been out and about playing in the car rather that soaping. Still waiting to get a chance to use the new slowbros. will be in vegas in 2 weeks looking for a new house so I'll find lots of rails while out on the town at night.

Driving is my main thing. I tend to spend nearly every last minute and dime I get striving to be faster. Tricked the girlfriend into thinking vegas would be a good place to live, I just wanted to be closer to a track.

Mar 3, 2015grug250

dude hit up ryan j he's in vegas and knows some sick spots

Mar 3, 2015Waffle

Lol wanted to say that Grug!

Apr 23, 2015aname

Justalilslow,

any chance you wanna sell me those septums? You can keep the plates, I just want the shoe. One of my favorite looking shoes haha. Let me know whenever you see this on here or at:

Therealskeletor@yahoo.com

Apr 23, 2015justalilslow

just replied to your email.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Bryndon with a royale on some bleachers
Orr Whartman hittin a Dragon Makio
Chris Komsthoeft hittin a Frontside
Aaron Taraboletti hittin a stickin a backslide
Carter Bair soaping for the first time