Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Speedster Plate Question
Oct 7, 2006 by SPSR

Dose anyone else with the Speedster grind plate feel like theres got "gunked" up? I've only used mine on smooth round hand rails and yet they seem slow and gunky (i'll sometimes come to a complete stop on rails) any solution to this? should i cake some wax on the actual plate? Im not sure what to do with them.
Replies

Oct 7, 2006AnthoFlex

dude, just wax the rail......Waxing ur plates will just bring a huge gunk of filthy-ness on the shit

Oct 7, 2006AnthoFlex

and dunt use ur speedsters on ledges

Oct 7, 2006SPSR

I would never use them on a ledge, i want them to last a while (trying to get some scabs as my default shoes so i don't wear down my speedsters to much.) the only problem is now theres like this blackish streek on the bottom of my plate (kinda the shape of a rail) that feels like a brake or something. i dunno i can grind somethings but they feelt like they had some sort of crud on them (i only use them on rails so i don't know what got on them.) when i used my freinds shoes with BBK's on them it was a nice smoth grind and i did not almost fall off every time i tryed to grind longer then a few feet.

Oct 7, 2006Louis

The only problem i've had on my scorchers in the years since i got them was that the brakes on the sides of the shoe are massive and prevent you tweaking alot without coming to a complete halt.
The only thing i can think of that could be the problem with your shoes is that you used them on some sort of plastic tubing or painted rail that has transfered a thin layer of material onto the plate...On my first soaps, i used my bbks on a pvc practice rail for ages, and eventually the pvc got worn down and started leaving thing layers of pvc on the plates, which noticeably slowed me down on metal rails.

Oct 7, 2006SapAuthor

is this gunk part of the shoe or did it get on there while u were wearing them and can be removed.

Oct 8, 2006matrix8967

are speedsters cemented or bolted on? i used a pair of my friends scorchers when i was in like 6th or 7th grade (now i'm in 12th) so i dont remember, he says they where bolted? if my plates are removeable, i grind anything (like my ordnance with the BBK plates, i'll grind anything cuz plates are pretty cheap) but if the plate is cemented, i'm super careful (like my express)

---Alex

Oct 8, 2006SPSR

Matrix8967, there non replacable. SapAuthor, the "gunk" is like a discoloration on the plate (a darkish black color) that wont come off when i scrape at it a little.

Oct 8, 2006SapAuthor

hm...well, if it isn't part of the original plate, and it's not below the original (like it got warn down to a point hwere that stuff started to show up), i would think you could get it off. If not, I would look into some way to de-sticky it, i thought maybe try hair spray on the spot, never treid it but if hair spray dries it becomes hard, maybe it would be a temp fix?

can you just tell us if this gunk is above the original plate, it IS the original plate, or below the surface of the plate (like ground down into plate and hit that)

Oct 8, 2006matrix8967

I clean my plates with hot water and a toothbrush...try that, hotwater can get alot of stuff off...

---Alex

Oct 8, 2006snares

i have a simular kind of problem with my yellow BBK's, they have a load of black streaks over them, which dont seem to want to come off.
I'm not sure if it is really slowing me down much, as the rail i was on yesterday was quite high (waist hieght). As it was my first 'high' rail, i just thought i wasnt going as fast/grinding as far because of the height and the fact that it was straight.
I think i'll try that hot-water and toothbrush trick though, why not.

Oct 8, 2006matrix8967

I wash them in the bath tub. i run the water about an inch deep, and put one shoe in (not wearing it) sole down like i where stepping in, then i lift it out and take a tooth brush to it. My bbk's are getting scuffed up and slowing down because i've been hitting some curbs...but they'll grind down...which is why i want some curbbusters for JUST curbs...anyway, good luck cleaning getting the gunk off

Oct 8, 2006matrix8967

---Alex

(Sorry, i'm OCD about my signature)

Oct 8, 2006SapAuthor

You know what i would look into, some sort thinner or acid or something. Try bringing your shoes to an art store or hardware store, and see if they can identify what those marks are and what can take them off without damaging the plates. Just be careful, not sure what would happne, i claim no liability lol, just throwing out ideas.

Oct 9, 2006SPSR

it is above the plate and i just pulled out my practice rail (it dose not have "legs" on it so i rarely use it even though im still sort of a beginer.) and just keept grinding it untill the parts with the streaks were gone. i think it was like really caked on mud or somthing. thanks for the tips and what not.

Oct 9, 2006mnsoaperns

hmm should let me try your shoes out on your practice rail in about 2 hours when I get out of school.

Oct 9, 2006SPSR

haha can do (i'm going to get those scabs as my defaults so we'll have he same shoe....agian (remember the evo's?) i wanted some sqeaky cleans imperial but those i can't find. at least i'll have a different plate.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Alexei Tajzler hittin a Cheese Grater
Bryndon Smith hittin a Frontside the Iowa City Kink
Zach Larson hittin a Hittin a true unity.
greg morris hittin a royale downtown --> wellington st. bridge
Derek Brooks hittin a Backside Farfegnugen