Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Need some help with the Royale
Nov 18, 2006 by SapAuthor

Alright, i've put the tall rails and balance aside for a bit, and i got myself a 10ft PVC pipe (and trust me, sneaking it into my dorm room 7 flights up isn't easy either ;) ). I'm trying to work on my tricks, expecially the trick i can never seem to be able to do: The Royale.

I checked the tutorial on soapshoes.info, but i still can't seem to get it :(. I bend my knees, but i either end up sliding out becuase in order to get the bend my leg comes in, or i don't get a bend. How do you bend your back foot enough? I know they say it's all in the knees, but i either end up sliding out or not doing it. I know it's going to be hard to help me, but anyone here who does Royale remember how they got it, any things they had to focus on doing in order to succeed?
Replies

Nov 18, 2006AnthoFlex

Yo Trev, you ok? I thought the Royale was one of ur best Tricks....Its one of mine, but then again, i know the problems you have....I was in Forensics class when i found this solution.....hope it helps you...

Normally you bend ur knees and then try to tweak that ankle right?

WHile in forensics class, we were doing this stupid blood thing and, w.e, anywayz, i was bending my knees and trying to get that Royale position......I noticed that when i bent my knees, and then Tilted the knee, and only the knee (the one for Royale, The ankle would come up into PERFECT royale position....Anxious to try this on an ACTUAL rail, i went home, slipped my Broadsides on and hit my good ol' practice rail.....I tried royaling the way i normally did it (and ended up the ankle only tweaking), Then i tried the thing i did in class....BOOM! ankle came up, knees bent, and a perfect royale was born....My first REAL Royale, i loved it.....I hope this helps Trev...

Nov 18, 2006Kru

I've found that the royale is a dominant leg techinque. The lead leg has to start the royale and the follow leg has to mimic just roll over... I can get a really tweaked royale this way. It all flows into a nice mash.. the inverted farfenugen you start with the follow leg and then mimic and roll with the lead..

whats really a pain in the ass is jumping up on a rail because you have to jump the lead leg but then within the second the other leg has to get around the same height so the shoes hit the rail around the same time.. or else the starting leg will just fly down.. I keep doing this.. it takes alot of practice to get this down

Nov 19, 2006matrix8967

yeah, bending your knees helps ALOT...also same with farfs

---Alex

Nov 19, 2006SapAuthor

maybe i'm bending them wrong. Can someone tell me HOW the knees are bent? Is one bent strong and hte other week, are they bent straight to your side, to the front, or a to the side and front? How far should your feet be apart, and where should your body be?

Nov 19, 2006SonicSoaper

Weird. I've got no problem with this trick. Might be because of all the UFOs I do. Anyway, when you're practicing try to tweak your feet only. Don't worry if it's not "stylin". It's only practice so it's supposed top look like crap. Bend your knees later on and it should come naturally.

Nov 19, 2006matrix8967

I'll see if I can take a pic. for you monday or tuesday...

---Alex

Nov 19, 2006SapAuthor

thanks, a picture woudl be awesome, or maybe even a video on how to do it (not just a video of people doing it). The royale is my favorite trick, that's why i want to do it. Like i said, i either tweak right and then fall, or i don't tweak right. It's getting my feet tweaked while not getting my feet to fly out from under me is the problem.

Nov 19, 2006matrix8967

yeah, the feet flying out from under me happens sometimes. once i was grinding some sloped wood, and my backfoot was faster than my front one and they collided and i almost landed on my back, but i caught my self...woo...

anyway, yeah, i'll get a pic or video of it sometime this week and upload it.

---Alex

Nov 19, 2006Kru

practicing the bending and the posture on solid ground to get a feel for it. So it doesn't feel so alien when you actually try to execute them

Nov 20, 2006SapAuthor

i have, many times -.- i could really use a tutorial of sorts, like video. I made some for the basic goals for my group on my buzznet account. could anyone do that? i know it's kind of a hassle, but it would be appreciated.

Nov 20, 2006Jard39

i cant since i haven't quite got it down yet

Nov 20, 2006Kru

Well I see why you can not do it then. It really isn't that difficult. Also.. seeing someone else do it, verses doing it yourself is completely different.

When I was learning how to backhandspring.. every tutorial I tried it never made sense because they where missing a vital point in all of them. So I just learned how to backhandspring all by myself and it wasn't easy..but it wasn't too hard either.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Nov 20, 2006SapAuthor

still, a video tutorial will help me a lot.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Corey Desrochers hittin a Cab Driver
Ian Walsh hittin a Frontside
Mike sliding the massive Iowa City kink
Derek Brooks hittin a Frontside
Mark hittin a frontside at work