Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Steep Rails
Dec 14, 2006 by shdook

Im having a little bit of trouble with steeper rails lately. Im just wondering if theres any certain way i should jump on it beacause its hard for me to get both feet on in time before I start.
Replies

Dec 14, 2006shdook

I can grind alot of hip height rails just harder for me to do steeper ones

Dec 15, 2006Kru

I found the solution to this when I got kinda kinky(no pun intended) and decided to try this one rail at my mall. I did some previous school grinding earlier and realized on steeper rails your follow foot has to be heavy for a nice solid contact. Put alot of your weight on the follow foot then spread it out once you feel comfortable enough.

Dec 15, 2006Rictor

how badly do you eat it when trying a rail. I'm just starting and wanted to know how badly I can expect to eat it.

Dec 15, 2006Kru

depends if your trained in reflexes. I've crashed a couple times doing bike racks.. the worst one I fell on my leg then I laughed. I generally just jump off if I feel unstable. On steep rails theres a bit of commitment once your on the only way off is either falling or a controlled stop(braking or completing the rail)
Just be careful.. or be really crazy.

Dec 15, 2006AnthoFlex

YEa, i dunbt do vert rails....i just dunt...i dunno y....i like to stick to street.....im a street Sk8r and Street Soaper :)

Dec 16, 2006Rynasty

Kru is right about training your reflexes. You need to fully commit when you do it and know that you can land the trick. Make sure you get both feet above the rail before you put your foot on, and pick which side of the rail to bail off of if you have to.

Dec 16, 2006AnthoFlex

I cant choose what side imma bail on, whatever side most of my weight is on, thats where imm go

Dec 16, 2006matrix8967

i suck at jumping on the rail...cuz by the time i'm up there, i've lost alot of momentum and balance etc. any tips?

---Alex

Dec 16, 2006Kru

hate to sound like a science class but the jumping part really isn't part of the process. Since physics is all about what makes these shoes work. When you jump up to a rail you equalize most the down force, therefore you don't really move any at all. You what you have to do is to jump well moving and your feet happen to be the same height or higher then the rail so there is no cancellation but a slight increase. This is for straight rails or slightly curved. Steep rails is pretty much a tailored fit depends how crazy you want to get.
less then equal = bail or fall or no movement
equal = good contact but little momentum, falling is possible
more then equal = smooth contact "sailing," falling is still possible.

Dec 17, 2006SapAuthor

I'm good with tall rails, i've done quiet a few. First off, the rule does go, if you can jump over it, you can grind it. For flat rails (no slope), just run up at a very slight angle to it and jump high, you want to be almost straight above it when your feet hit. It just takes some practice getting your plates to hit. The hardeste part is just getting the right balance when you hit (so you don't fall back or forward).

As for slanted rails like stair rails, it's easier to jump farther forward, since you will be higher above it and won't have to jump as high (meaning if you were on the slope with the rail, if you go straight out (not slanting), eventually the rail will be at foot level, so the farther out you jump, the less height you need). On steep rails, it's easy becuase you are almost just jumping on a "ground" level rail further out, and then going downwards. Still fear factor comes in.

Hope this helps, you can check out my profile at soaps.sonicandpals.com, and click on "Promo Video" and at the end i hit a 45 foot stomach high rail.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Alexei Tajzler hittin a Frontside
LixF hittin a fresh track grind
Wyatt Peterson busting a fastslide
Wyatt Peterson hitting a fastslide on the practice rail
Brett Dierker with a Frontside.