Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Just got some soaps and was wondering how you guys got started
Jan 7, 2007 by Q

Just baught some Ordnances from Sonic and Pals Soaping website and want some advice on getting started
Replies

Jan 7, 2007AnthoFlex

advice? Just go for it, but dunt get too aheead of urself....and do us all a favor, stay on Solidgrind commuter. i cant tell you how many people ask when question (with or without an answer) and never come back here

Jan 8, 2007SapAuthor

What i would do is watch some SOAPing video, get yourself a 2 inch diameter 10 ft PVC pipe at your local hardware and start praticing, and slowly build ur way up to where u can do hand rails and tricks.

Jan 8, 2007SSAndroid

ya, i got a pvc pipe for 5 bux at home depot, 1.5 inch diameter, and just practiced on that

Jan 8, 2007Kile

dude home cheapo blows, go to kmart lol j/k make your own rail its the best way this way its what you would like and not a pipe that ud get bored of the first couple of days

Jan 8, 2007shdook

Just go to like dicks sporting goods or whatever its called where you live, and you can buy a kinked rail for only like 50 bucks

Jan 8, 2007Q

Cool i'll give it a try. thanx

P.S sorry for not getting back in time

Jan 8, 2007shdook

Or go to ur local skateshop but they dont always have rails their when i go

Jan 8, 2007Q

k

Jan 8, 2007Emerl

Personally, when I got my first pair (Scorchers) I bought a round skateboard rail to practice on. The only problem is rounded grind rails are really hard to find.

Jan 8, 2007AnthoFlex

So Emerl, did your skill points go up yet? Or are you still at 0 ?

Jan 8, 2007SonicSoaper

Oh man, Renny's coming in with a Sonic reference. I'm trying to find a round rail and Kile, how exactly would you make your own rail? I don't have a blow torch just sitting in my house.

Jan 9, 2007shdook

hey im on my wii right now anyways there not to hard to come by but u can still get some pvc pipe cheap. or u could go scavange ur neghboorhood for any junk rails

Jan 9, 2007vmn551

i just started practicing on the bleachers in my gym at school.....untill they yelled at me.
I still slip in a frontside every now and then.

Jan 9, 2007AnthoFlex

You go back foot first dont you vmn551?

Jan 9, 2007SapAuthor

if you really want to make yoruself a good rail, you can buy Dock pipe. It's about 3 inch diameter solid metal, they make good rails, but are like 25 bucks for a 10 ft section i think. ALl you need to do then is fashion legs for it.

Jan 9, 2007vmn551

yeah, usually.

Jan 10, 2007Emerl

Oh, no Flex. I don't do the skill points thing. I kinda suck. I still can't grind tables.

Jan 10, 2007AnthoFlex

Eww dunt call me Flex lol

Jan 10, 2007AnthoFlex

And i was joking, i was talking about ur name.....Emerl....rememeber? Sonic Battle.....Skill Get....

Jan 10, 2007Emerl

Ah. I get it now. As I doubt you'll believe, given that many members here are avid Sonic fans who found out about Soap from SA2, I actually didn't get this name from Sonic Battle (although it was a great game.) Really, it was a character in a story I wrote in one of my English classes many years ago.

Anyway, back on topic: Is there any easy way to grind on tables with 90* sides?

Jan 10, 2007AnthoFlex

It really all depends on you....Its funny, with Soapshoes, you can grind a lot of things you wouldnt think are grindable

Jan 11, 2007SSAndroid

nice shdook, i too have a wii w/ that opera thingy

Jan 11, 2007shdook

yup that was the first real obstacle thing i did. To grind a bench just start off on the bench part untill you can get mad skills and can jump up that high. Just grind it like the PVC pipe or rail that you have

Jan 14, 2007SonicSoaper

To answer the question originally asked though, I learned to Soap on a metal storm drain outside of my house. It's surprisingly slick despite the fact it has little diamond patterns on it that stick up.

Jan 14, 2007DaSholZ

If you look around in your local junkyard (if there's one near) you can find all sorts of things to grind on. I found two polished iron poles. That's how I got started.

Jan 14, 2007snikas

i fond a marble bench 3 years ago. thats how i got started. just go around to a scrap yard or dump and look for light pipes, rails, or other stuff like that. Oh if you can find a galvinized piece of metal get it and wax it . it works awsome . and one more thing since its galvinizedit wont rust. if you cut or weld it spray paint the the worked on area and your good to go. good luck and have fun!

Jan 14, 2007AnthoFlex

But try to stay away from galvanized....and alumunum....oh god aluminum.....Super F***ing slow.....even with wax....sooo slow

Jan 14, 2007SonicSoaper

Better for wrapping sandwiches in eh?

Jan 15, 2007SapAuthor

aluminum is about the slowest thing you can grind on besides rubber. The material tends to absorb or something, so nothing will slide on it, friction is immense. You will know an aluminum bar and what we are talking about if you put ur grind plate on it and try to move it, it feels like ur moving across sand paper or something.

Jan 15, 2007DaSholZ

Is it the aliminum like on bicycle stands? I just wax it. Works fine for me.

Jan 15, 2007AnthoFlex

Yea but normally when you wax a good rail, you will probably never have to grind it again....with Aluminum rails, you gotta wax the shit like after every 3 grinds...

Jan 25, 2007SonicSoaper

The library by my house had some really nice curbs to practice on. Too bad my friend Travis was caught grinding there and they either sandblasted the paint off or did something so now it's a shitty normal curb. Good thing I have my wax though.

Jan 26, 2007Rictor

i'd recommend those rails that have the hand rail and then there are minor rails below that rail, which pretty much look like

use the lower rail to grind and if you lose balance, you have the rail right in front of you, it's just that you only have 1 meter of rail to grind.

Jan 26, 2007SonicSoaper

That's what I do on the handrails in the stairwells in my school.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Tal Zeltzer hittin a Acid Soul
Jordan Muck hittin a frontside at the Monmouth High School
Bryndon with a royale on some bleachers
Final Fantasy X hittin a Frontside
Dan_H hittin a Frontside