Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Is it just me
Apr 15, 2007 by RamenRadio

Or have there been a HUGE decrease in the amount of soap shoes up on ebay? I know that we don't post anything about ebay (and I'm not asking to), but has anyone seen any shoes besides a pair of MB tank or a pair of goas every now and then? I just can't help but notice.
Replies

Apr 15, 2007Surfaced

It's not you, there haven't been many Soaps listed indeed. Every year they become harder to find (excluding the Express now). I'd like to assume that we are experiencing an uncommon incosistency in listings, and that this won't go on for long.

But there was one pair listed a couple days ago. It was a pair of size 10 Imperial Squeaky Cleans, brand new for $30. Nobody saw them though because the first person to view the auction used the buy-it-now option. You can take a look by searching the completed listings for "soap shoes".

Apr 15, 2007kobansora

Squeaky Cleans were posted on eBay? I look on eBay everyday and there's nothing on. JEeeeeze lol

~JJ

Apr 15, 2007kobansora

Squeaky Cleans were posted on eBay? I look on eBay everyday and there's nothing on. JEeeeeze lol

~JJ

Apr 15, 2007RamenRadio

I just reallly want to see HSL taking us serioiusly. I mean, yeah, I know they are what stopped soaping from dying. However, just one shoe? I know, I know i haven't had a pair of express YET, but just one shoe isn't enough. Not for me, and I'd like to say not for any other soaper. I like my variety indeed. I mean, the least they can do is one shoe with removable plates, and one shoe without. THAT should be the least, not just one shoe with a cemented plate. And if by any chance HSL isn't completely satisfied with the soap sales, why don't they try releasing just shoe with a removable grind plate (and maybe just two removable grind plate models). I'm pretty damn sure THAT would definitely increase sales. I'd order thee pairs of shoes and three pairs of each plate the date that would happen, no joke. I know, I did leave out the matter of not having shoes with sole plates, but I'm pretty sure that those would HAVE to come out sooner or later. Kurt's broke, and he's scurrying around still looking in if they are going to come out. But basically, the point is that HSL should probably take us seriously now. Right now, almost every kid on Kurt's block wants a pair of soap shoes. Soaping is growing and growing, and yet, the variety is just getting smaller and smaller. Just doesn't make sense to me. So HSL, I'm hopping you'll go to the demo and see the few great soapers in action. Just wait :D

Apr 15, 2007Mart

How many times does this discussion need to be had before you'll understand HSL's point of view?

There is no logical business sense in developing a new removable-plate shoe (the old styles would not be consistent with HSL's aesthetics so this would likely be a brand new shoe) when current sales are so low. The new shoe would run at such a high cost that no retailers would stock it, firstly because Soap's aren't a popular product and secondly because the unit price would be much higher than that of fixed-plate Soaps. This was the exact reason why the Broadside flopped and the A-Sides were never released; based on current sales figures at the time, retailers couldn't justify stocking another shoe that was 50% more expensive

If every kid on Kurt's block wants a pair of Soaps, why haven't they gone to Steve's shop and bought a pair yet? If they're broke as well, fair play, but HSL aren't going to develop new products just because there are loads of people who want them. Take this for example:

HSL Salesrep: Good news! Loads of kids want Soaps!
HSL CEO: Great! But... why aren't they buying them?
Salesrep: Uhh... looks like they can't afford them
CEO: Okay. Well, we can't sell them any cheaper, our margins are small enough as it is
Salesrep: They really want the old-style shoes with removable plates
CEO: They'd be even more expensive due to development and production costs, so who's to say they'd buy those if they can't afford the current models?

Case closed. If you want to support Soap, you've got to go with the flow. There's no business sense behind your argument, and if you want HSL to 'take us seriously', you've got to understand their viewpoint on this and let this issue go because endless complaining will do no good whatsoever

Apr 15, 2007Surfaced

"If every kid on Kurt's block wants a pair of Soaps, why haven't they gone to Steve's shop and bought a pair yet? If they're broke as well, fair play, but HSL aren't going to develop new products just because there are loads of people who want them."

Took the words right out of my mouth.

And Steve has got the cheapest prices they'll ever find for retail Soap shoes.

Apr 15, 2007AnthoFlex

Tell them to save up, and get Soapin'

Apr 15, 2007SonicSoaper

Case closed. *bangs gavel*

Apr 16, 2007Zhowulf

There were size 8 Goa's on ebay this week while SolidGrind was down...it was in german so you wouldn't normally find it :P It started at 99 euro cents. And it ended for like...20 euro (22something dollars)

Apr 16, 2007RamenRadio

They ARE saving up, not every kid has money to spend. Have a problem with a kid saving up money? Mart, I NEVER said anything about a new model. I was referring to an old model being put back. They only have one shoe, I don't think a second one will be so horrible. Maybe Steve can only handle that one model at the moment (yeah, I realize he's a busy guy), and yes, maybe we should wait until we have more people to sell soap shoes besides steve before releasing another model. All I'm saying is that, if they don't expand their variety the slightest bit, soaping wouldn't become popular. Yes, maybe soaping isn't the most popular thing. However, people are definitely interested. When AJ was soaping, people would always ask about his shoes. Same with me, Keith, and Kurt. And no Mart, I'm not just arguing. I might say a flame every now and then, and I might argue about it (and yeah, I know it doesn't help soap shoes become more popular). However, I do things to help soap shoes. Anytime someone has a question, I give them every link they need, and tell them whatever they need to know, and I even show them a trick or two on a curb or a bench. And I'm trying to print out some copies of the waiver for the demo. So I'm not arguing about how "unfair" HSL is. I do what I can to make a difference.

Apr 16, 2007Surfaced

You misinterpreted what Mart said. Read his post again until you do understand it correctly.

Apr 16, 2007Mart

Thank you David. That proves that you don't read what I say properly.

HSL simply cannot afford to invest in variety for a weak product. That's the bottom line. What else can I say to you to help you understand that? Sales on the one current shoe style aren't high enough to justify introducing a second one, fixed-plate or otherwise. HSL learnt this lesson the hard way when they brought out, what was it, five or six different styles all in one go? Sales figures weren't as high as forecast so they cut production altogether, and present figures don't justify either development of a new shoe or the reintroduction of an older style. It's amazing that they even started reproducing the Express, and a huge part of that is down to the effort Steve, Trev and Antho have put into Soap. You've got to learn to walk before you can run dude; one style in three colours is enough for now

Apr 16, 2007SonicSoaper

For those of you who didn't bother to read Mart's last post, here's the abridged version.

HSL spends money on producing Soaps. If Soap shoes are unpopular and the shoes are sitting around being unsold then they are wasting money. So instead of continue to waste money, HSL will stop making Soaps since it is hurting the company's revenue or income.

Apr 16, 2007RamenRadio

Maybe it would have been about three months ago, but not quite now. I almost never see any soaps on ebay anymore. And is one shoe in three colors REALLY enough? Just yesterday, I found a message for me asking about a shoe besides the express. He said he wasn't too interested in them, and would like something different. I gave him all the information that I could, but don't feel like I quite helped him. Becuase I don't see many other soaps besides the express and the MB Tank. Meanwhile, the MB tank is most of the time in a size 14, when he is a size 12. So no, personally, I don't quite think that one shoe is enough. From my point of view, another shoe is just one other shoe, not five or six. Yes Mart, I do understand what you are saying, but I don't quite think you understand what I am saying.

Apr 16, 2007AnthoFlex

werd to Mart's comment

Apr 16, 2007AnthoFlex

Dude, do you wanna help Soap? or the ebay auction people.

Just show them the Soap shop. They probably dunt like hte express because of the way it looks. Evrything looks better when bigger. Thats why in the order form i added a little coding of my own to the 3 pictures shown on the order form. They are links to SUPER-HIGH-RES photos of the 3 Express colors. You can see EVERYTHING right down to the tiny specs of dust on the shoes

Apr 17, 2007Surfaced

It's true, the only way that we will progress is by selling Soaps through stores. eBay is nothing to HSL. There certainly are a lot of Soap shoes that look much better than the Express, but it's level of comfort is unbeatable when compared to other grindshoes. They will be satisfied with Expresses once they wear them.

Apr 17, 2007Mart

If someone didn't like the Express styling, I would much rather they score a different pair off eBay than choose not to take up Soaping

Ramen, I understand perfectly what you're saying; you don't think there's enough variety and that's hurting HSL's sales. Of course I understand that, but there isn't the money in the Soap pot to invest in manufacturing two different styles

Apr 17, 2007RamenRadio

Not yet anyway. Soaping can get back into style again. Maybe when there is a little more money to invest into soap, they could try to make another model.

And yes, I'm quite aware that ebay means nothing to HSL. However, I think that it should mean something. And I think that something is a decrease in their sales. And not just any sales, I believe it's the soap sales. Instead of ordering a pair of express (which then brings up the soap sales), they decide to order something off ebay with a replaceable grind plate. If anything, wouldn't that bring sales down? That money isn't going towards HSL. So MAYBE making another shoe would bring sales up. I'm only saying maybe, I'm not too farmiliar with business stuff (unless my brother tells me because he's the one farmiliar with it). Because then people wouldn't be getting the shoes off ebay, they would be getting them from the sonicandpals. That's what I thought would bring up sales. I could be very wrong, but that's just what I thought. Sorry Mart.

And Renny, yes, I do that all the time. The other person just wanted something different, so I tried helping him out with that. But ALWAYS, my first suggestion is the soap shop. :D

Apr 17, 2007Mart

If there were a ton of sales every day on eBay then HSL would obviously take notice and do something to try and bring some of that revenue back into their pockets. Besides, the cost of developing a removable-plate shoe would far outweigh the gains made in sales. You're also discounting the fact that people looking for Soaps, who don't know about this site, are more than likely to search on eBay first

eBay is doing something for the Soap scene. As well as providing cheap shoes, I've seen a bunch of auctions recently that link to Solid Grind and to the Soap Shoes page on MySpace, so it does help raise awareness that the scene still exists

Apr 17, 2007rhinoskater30

Yeah, only cuz once people get their hands on some they dont wanna give them away, and then they get tossed off, so, yeah.

Apr 18, 2007RamenRadio

There were tons of soaps on ebay, but not much anymore unfortunately. But yeah, I agree that it can help with the soap scene, just not with the profits.

Apr 18, 2007RamenRadio

Mart, can you elaborate on the replacable grind plates? I'm not too sure what you were saying.

Apr 18, 2007SonicSoaper

What he's saying is that HSL would spend more money on developing a replaceable plate than they would be getting back in sales.

Apr 18, 2007Mart

Bingo; as I said in an earlier post, HSL wouldn't simply re-release an old model that features replaceable plates as their would be no design coherency. With sales figures as they stand, development on that kind of scale would be money down the drain

Apr 19, 2007RamenRadio

I still don't see how they would waste money making replaceable grind plates... If anything, i think that would make them gain money.

Apr 19, 2007siuol7

HSL wouldn't want to put out replaceble plate shoes anyways because they would rather make $60 instead of $10 every time your plates wear down.

Apr 19, 2007siuol7

And they would have to spend money to make all the plates.

Apr 19, 2007Mart

Remanufacturing replaceable plates would mean that people would keep their old Artemis Soaps instead of buying new HSL Soaps when the plates wear through. If you're that concerned about plates then stop grinding curbs and other rough surfaces

Apr 19, 2007RamenRadio

I'm not concerned about plates, I'm concerned with mine and others variety as a soaper. And no, I don't think that people could keep their old soaps around forever. Those would eventually wear down. There isn't any variety when it comes to a cemented on plate. I enjoy switching plates from bbk, to slo bro, and to any other plate.

Apr 19, 2007Mart

You're one of a very small minority, then. Once grooves are worn in there is practically no difference between any plate; cemented plates are cheaper and Slo Bros have a headstart over BBKs when it comes to wearing in a groove, that's it

Apr 19, 2007Tasslehoff

thats where i looked for SOAPs first. i found 2 posts of size 1-5 nitros. thats pretty much it. although you can get plates and wax pretty much all the time there.

Apr 19, 2007Curtinator

Its basically like. Why sell more shoes when only a few people buy it?

Apr 19, 2007SonicSoaper

Exactly.

Apr 19, 2007AnthoFlex

Im much more of a cemeted-plate person

Apr 20, 2007SonicSoaper

Same here. Express is how I slide.

Apr 20, 2007RamenRadio

How the hell are cemented plates cheaper? You have to buy a whole other pair of shoes when they wear down. With replaceable plates, you just buy another pair of plates. It makes more sense to me anyway, instead of buying another pair of shoes when your shoes wear down. To me, it sounds ridiculous.

Apr 20, 2007SapAuthor

cheaper to manufactor*

Apr 20, 2007SapAuthor

Plus, as renny did with his shoes, you can take a knife (be careful), file, or another object and grind in a groove yourself. Expecially for those people who want a groove, but shoes only last 4-5 months :P

Apr 20, 2007RamenRadio

Some things should be cheap for the consumer too. That's why I never want a pair of heelys.

Apr 20, 2007Mart

Exactly Trev; fixed plates are inherently cheaper to manufacture as they don't require all the additional hardware to be built into the shoe that facilitates removal and replacement of plates

Apr 20, 2007RamenRadio

WHAT ABOUT THE CONSUMER. I DIDN'T SEE YOU RAVE ABOUT THAT ONE.

Apr 20, 2007SonicSoaper

Travis, companies don't care about the consumer. It's all about figures, revenue, and money. If there isn't enough revenue coming from the beloved consumers then there isn't anything for them is there?

Apr 20, 2007RamenRadio

I didn't say give away everything to the consumer, just make things at least fair for the consumer.

Apr 20, 2007SonicSoaper

I never said give anything away.

Apr 20, 2007RamenRadio

Yeah, but obviously you have to care somewhat about the consumer, otherwise you couldn't make a dime. You have to be on SOME normal plane with the consumers demands.

Apr 20, 2007Zhowulf

It's more like keeping the consumer barely alive/satisfied enough that they keep buying, and make sure the company spends the least amount of money.

Apr 21, 2007AnthoFlex

PLus, its quite obvious that HSL doesnt like Soap.

It likes its own son; Heelys, not its adapted one; Soap (if you get what i mean)

Apr 21, 2007rhinoskater30

Yeah, and they only would want you to buy Heelys which would probably be more expensive, cuz of the wheel and all.

Heelys - Not good.

Apr 21, 2007AnthoFlex

Like i said, i respect Heelys for their rolling abilities, but trying to take Grinding away from Soap is just wrong.

Plus, im not gonna spend more than $70 extra on a wheel im NOT gonna use

I think the Reflex for Heelys is cool cuz it's more like a running shoe.

But I think that there should be just Soap shoes, and just Heelys with no grind plate.

If you think about it, HSL could make more money that way. There would be some kids that would ACTUALLY know what the grind plate does, and they want Soaps. There will also be some kids that want Heelys for the wheel.
If kids wanted a grind plate AND wheels, they'd buy BOTH products.

Oh yeah, it don't make no kinda sense to put a wheel with a plate, the wheel might get in a way, and that negates our chances of a shoe with a full sole plate.

And I saw that Heelys - not good. I just meant the company is kinda stupid, Heelys are cool and all, but just not Soaps, even if you CAN take the wheel out.

Apr 21, 2007RamenRadio

That's what I think it is AnthoFlex. It could be because they don't like soap shoes. The least that they want is another shoe out that they don't like. And I bet they think that the less soaps they make, the smaller soaping will be. I think that's pretty sick (disgusting) of them to do. It's not even fairplay.

Apr 21, 2007SamusMeleeMaste

all i got to say is, soapshoes owns all shoes, heelys is just a shoe for little 8 year olds. And yet grown men tempt to use them ~.~

Apr 21, 2007RamenRadio

It's a screwed up company with the rights to the best shoes (soaps), and the rights to the screwed up shoes (heelys).

Apr 21, 2007SonicSoaper

And it's comments like that which make our efforts futile.

Apr 21, 2007SapAuthor

listen, you have to admit, i see kids with heelys a lot. Heelys are a kid shoe, and although they are bulky, uncomfertable, and unhealthy, small kids love them. You really can't compare SOAPs and Heelys, they are kind of like apples and oranges, different markets, different styles. the reason why the heelys with grind plates never sold well is becuase little kids often don't have the capability to SOAP, and older people wouldn't be caught dead in heelys lol. Not many little kids can jump up on hand rails and stair rails, so SOAPs dont' appeal to them as much, it's only the older kids who can jump and have the guts to do some of this stuff, like Relate crew.

So put it this way, Heelys sell well for kids, SOAPs are for adults and older teens. I can't really say Heely's is a bad product cuz they do sell, you can't deny that. But I, for one, will never dawn another pair of uncomfertable Heelys, and only wear the ergonomic, comfertable, and awesome SOAPs.

dude...im nit dissing or ur comment but in my elementary school, and so many others since i knew a lot of kids from different schools, we ALL wanted soaps and i remember us being really good for our age, yeah kids cant jump as high, but that doesnt mean theyre just for teens and up
TRUE STORY:
i was in Target, and i saw this whole family of four heelying, heelying is for anyone that wants to roll and not grind, soaping is for people that want to grind and not roll, being good at either doesnt matter as long as ur having fun, and HSL is still giving soap a little life so u cant totally hate one em, but i myself dont like heelys as much as soaps, theyre fun, but soaps r just better. and when people see u soap they get excited more, just cuz soaping is so different from everything else

Apr 22, 2007SapAuthor

well that kind of is a rare case. The only people with heely's i've seen are middle school or younger. I dunno, in my opinion hwen u get older, comfert starts to matter more, and Heely's do have hard soles, unlike SOAPs which have very comfertable high arch support and extra padded sock liners. Plus, it's getting to hte point where it's kind of taboo to have heely's and be older. Where with SOAPs, really there is no age limit.

Apr 22, 2007Mart

I can tell you, once Soaps start getting old they become ridiculously uncomfortable. A few weekends ago I was shooting a music video and we ended up going through the night until 10am the next day. I was wearing my Vectors for almost 24 hours solid, and by the time I got back home I wanted to chop my feet off

Apr 22, 2007AnthoFlex

woah, thats brutal dude

Apr 23, 2007SamusMeleeMaste

lol antho i love soaps

Apr 23, 2007kobansora

Yeah I agree with Mart; My expresses kill me and piss me off on the days they do kill me.

~JJ

Apr 23, 2007Surfaced

"lol antho i love soaps"

We all do.

Think before you click.

Apr 28, 2007fastslider

I saw the one post on the do you wanna help ebay or soaps...
Well I'd think that it wouldn't matter since Soap is in the hands of HSL, and they could cut the chord at any time, as long as you Soap, and help promote it, you're doing your part.

At school I write Soap and SaP everywhere, I also tell people too, and my friends. I'm not antisocial lol.

Apr 28, 2007Surfaced

This is why it matters, Fastslider.

When you buy Soap shoes from eBay, it doesn't show anything truly meaningful to HSL.

When you buy Soap shoes from the SaP shop, Roller Warehouse, or gotswag, it shows up as a statistic to HSL because they are directly connected as dealers. Statistics help companies make decisions, often about whether or not they should discontinue a product.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Darren McCall hittin a Backslide
Derek Brooks hittin a Backside Farfegnugen
greg morris says game over kids
Aaron Taraboletti sliding a square kinked rail at Drake University
Zach hittin a Royale