Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
metal BBKs
May 19, 2006 by mgm

I'm planning on making some metal BBKs out of aluminum at school. There's a material science building that can cast them for me. Can anyone think of any reasons metal plates would be bad besides scraping rails?
Replies

May 19, 2006Jard39

i dont know maybe they would rust in the rain
and possibley make sparks

May 19, 2006AnthoFlex

Sparks....that would be soo sick.....hey man if you do make them.....can i get a pair in a size 10?

May 19, 2006Surfaced

And snow would cause rust also.

But I say go for it. I'd love those. Sonic had metal plates... there were awesome SFX produced when he grinded, but I bet we won't get the sparks.

But yeah, mgm, go for it. I'll buy a pair off of you if you pull it off.

May 20, 2006AnthoFlex

They might be heavy but still sick as a mofo :)

May 20, 2006Jard39

i would take a pair

May 20, 2006mgm

I'm going to bring in the plates to my friend on Monday. The actual metal casting will take two days. After that it might take a while to cut it, file it and then polish it. There's only two weeks of school left so I don't think I'll have time to make more this semester. Maybe over the summer I'll make some if they let me. I'll see how they turn out before I make more.

May 20, 2006mgm

Maybe I can even have them dyed yellow. to match my plastic ones.

May 20, 2006Jard39

maybe not dyed
maybe paintedthough

May 20, 2006Sugarfree

Dude if you're making them out of aluminum then forget it. I made plates from aluminum a few years back and they suck for grinding anything but a waxed rail. The problem is the aluminum is too soft of a metal and sticks to whatever surface you're trying to grind or "digs in" if you may. They may look badass but functionality will definately be comprimised.

May 20, 2006Wesker

I have a metal plate for my ordnances. I bought them on ebay not too long ago. It's only one metal plate though, I think it's probably better with one metal and one plastic to keep it from sliding too fast or for better lock on since you never really grind down the metal plate.

May 20, 2006Mart

Uuuh, aluminium doesn't rust, only iron and (possibly) steel do that

You have to understand that metal is not naturally slippery. Why do you think you have to wax rails up? Soap plates were designed to reduce friction and so the plastic is good for grinding. Metal on metal would be a bitch; either you'd stick on the rail or you'd lick down it so hard you'd have no control whatsoever

May 21, 2006mgm

Steel would make sparks but that would be heavy.

May 21, 2006Mart

An easier way to make sparks would be to get some cigarette lighter flints, drill small holes in the bottom of your plates and and pop them in with a dab of blu-tak on the end or something

Having said that, you're not going to get an assload of sparks flying out of your shoes, so it'll look weak

May 21, 2006Mart

Also, I have no idea why you all think that rubbing two pieces of metal together at running pace will generate sparks

May 21, 2006Louis

because it does in sonic?

May 21, 2006Louis

actually this reminds me of those things you attach to the kicktail of your skateboard which make sparks when you slide on them...what WILL they come up with next!?

May 21, 2006AnthoFlex

OK.....they wont spark unless u grind on a

ribbed rail such as BX cables.....for those

who dunt know, BX cables are the super thick

heavy ass cables that are bendable and have a

bunch of other wires inside....If you grind

concrete, u'll fall, u put wax, wont

spark.....my theory, good fuking idea, just

dunt expect sparks...expect BBKS that'll last

like for the rest of ur life.....and

hopefully they arent heavy...

May 21, 2006AnthoFlex

oh and a cool sound would come outta them

May 21, 2006mgm

I mean it would make sparks on concrete

May 21, 2006Surfaced

uhh no.

But is alluminum the lightest metal we can get? I mean, available to civilians, of course.

May 21, 2006Mart

Children, your shoes are not going to spark

May 21, 2006AnthoFlex

Thank you both Mart and Surfaced for agreeing with me....dudes....once again, its not gonna spark....i think BX cables might make it spark but even then....I hope they're light though....and i hope this guy ACTUALLY makes them....

May 21, 2006AnthoFlex

it WOULD spark on concrete if you stand in one place and drag ur shoe over it really hard.....but come on....have YOU EVER tried grinding on very rough-un waxed concrete?

1. It kills ur plates (Worst for express's)
2. Its impossible....too much friction...you can't move

Now if you make the plates out of flint... which would super quickly destroy ur plates...u'd get sparkes galore on almost any surface.....By the way, David, how come u dunt answer my IM's? u mad at me or soemthing?

May 21, 2006Mart

I think you misunderstood me, you aren't going to get sparks at all. If it's ledges you're so keen to get sparks on (at it certainly looks that way), you'd have to pop bits of flint in the tiny area of grindplate that actually makes contact with the ledge, which would minimise the amount of plate in contact with the ledge and the flint would cause you to stall

The thing you guys don't get is that sparks are caused by friction, which is the exact opposite of what you want when you're trying to slide along something. With the ideas you're spinning, you'd have to fucking huck yourself stupid along a ledge to get any visible sparks

May 21, 2006mgm

I never really wanted sparks I just wanted plates that would last a long time

May 21, 2006Surfaced

Antho... sometimes I forget to leave an away message. Not responding to people on AIM because of anger or whatever is sooo retarded. I don't do that.

But no, I'm not. Not at all.

May 21, 2006AnthoFlex

Lol ok dude thanx ^_^

May 22, 2006Mart

The way to make your plates last longer is to make sure the surfaces you're grinding are as smooth as possible. A decent rail will cause minimal plate wear, and if you absolutely have to grind ledges and the like, wax them up real good so that there's a thick layer of wax between the plates at the ledge itself

May 24, 2006Primal

Not a good idea. They'll be heavy, very hard to grind in and damned-near impossible to grind at any speed unless you were sliding along a rail of 45degrees or greater.

In other words: great concept, but too hard to pull off. Although they'd be great as a showpiece item.

May 24, 2006AnthoFlex

hmm....i think it would depend on what kind of metal.....like David said, aluminum is soft...not literally but u know what i mean...steel might be too heavy....the ONLY metal i can think of to do the job for both lightness and durability-----Titanium...but:

1. Hard to find
2. VERY expensive....i think

May 24, 2006Mart

Why are we even debating this still? Plastic plates are fine, they slide easy and don't damage whatever you're grinding

May 26, 2006meisbored

i agree! BBK's will do you fine. Just go out and grind.

May 26, 2006AnthoFlex

True but if u can make your own BBks for free....then be my guest...its FREE! but illegal i think

May 26, 2006Mart

...how would it be free? You have to buy the metal to start with, and consdiering how cheap plates are on eBay, it wouldn't be worth the time

May 26, 2006AnthoFlex

oh wow....true.....hmm sorry
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Zach larson with a Christ Grind in a Des Moines parking garage
If you own a pair of Soaps, you've seen this Sticker
Derek Brooks hittin a Mizuo
Greg Morris hittin a Pudslide
Jay Sers hittin a Cheesegrater in Montreal