Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
My (drumroll) Introduction
Sep 26, 2006 by OT

Hi, my name is Oskar (friends call me Osk or OT) an 18-year old coming from Sweden and I'd like to tell you how I found out about this site.

I was looking at the comics at sonicandpals (bet Trevor's run a couple plugs here so you all know about it hehe) when suddenly the word "Soap Shoes" popped up in my retina. No doubt I got some pretty strange pictures inside my head when I read that. As I started reading more and more about this thing I was getting more and more euphoric. See I used to skateboard when I was younger but lately I haven't done it very frequently. Don't call me lazy now, but as a means of transportation the board is too heavy to push around all the time and I never really figured out how to do a good ollie. So I basically just pulled some old school tricks but dreamed that one day I could also bust out some nice grinds. Now this seems like the perfect thing for me. I know its gonna take a lot of practice but if it's as half as fun as it seems in the videos I've seen, I'm down for every bruise and cut I'm gonna get hehe. The good thing about this that appeals to me the most is that this is something you can do on the fly, you don't need to go home and pick up the skateboard or inlines, if you feel like it you can just do it.

Otherwise than that my main interest in life is the hip hop culture. (yes) I try to do my own rap thing, I produce my own beats, DJ a little bit and I enjoy breakdancing every now and then. It's just something that I identify with and genuinely love and feel like I'm a part of.

Now as a complete newbie to this (I haven't ordered a pair of shoes yet, but can't wait to replace my dirty & old Nike Airs) I have some questions that I don't think I've seen any answers to on this site. Now if I have used the shoes in a month or two and the newness is gone, how often do I have to wax the grindplate for them to properly grind? I don't wanna jump up on a rail (don't worry i'm not gonna start doing that first thing when I get 'em, I'ma play it safe and get a PVC pipe or something) and find out they full stop right under me. Maybe I'm just picturing the worst-case scenario here thats never gonna happen, but I'd like to be informed.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying this out and being a member of this forum!
Replies

Sep 26, 2006SapAuthor

Well first off, welcome! Glad my site's soap section isn't going to waste. I experienced the same euphoria while playing SA2B.

Your shoe's durability depends kind of on the shoe model itself. This site offers an extensive list of all the shoes and what people said about them. If you are concerned about plates wearing out, look for models with replaceable grind plates. Although if the rail is hard steel, you shouldn't need to wax them at all. The plates are solid nylon, so it's slick pretty much all the way through. Some rails that are painted, or aluminum or rough can be hard to grind on, those are the ones you wax (or if you just want to go really really fast).

As for your worst case scenario, they only stop if you miss hitting hte plate and rubber of the sole hits, then you will stop, and fast. Good part is you can usually land on your feet, since ther'es nothing to roll out underneeth you.

Next thing, shipping will be huge if you buy soaps from the US. The shoes tend to be a bit heavy. Look for SOAP shoes on ebay in the united Kingdom. They have some, although still pricey, but shipping is less. Give us your shoe size (in US Size, just google search "shoe size converter" to get a conversion) and we'll help u find a good pair.

Otherwise, welcome! Ask questions, and check the forum pages for a topic that has "Guestbook" and sign in on it. It may be a page or two back.

Sep 27, 2006Wesker

Welcome to the Soap shoe game.

Sep 27, 2006snares

Hi and welcome to the site (and the wonderfull world of soaping).
I'm a beginner myself and can honestly say, soaping is kick-ass fun.

Oh and with regards to wax, you only wax the object you grind on (when needed).
I have never heard of anyone here waxing the plate itself, to be honest that sounds kinda dangerous to me.

So get some shoes and get out there my friend.
But remember :-
Keep your feet shoulder width apart (this has been drummed into me).
Test the object first (by running a foot/shoe along it), then if there is any rough spots, you'll find out with your foot and not your face.
Have fun. :D
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
greg with a cess slide and sweet cast
Derek Brooks hittin a Frontside
These guys kicked me out of the mall for soaping that day
Marshall Lenhart hittin a UFO
Dunk hittin a Freestyle Backslide