Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Express vs. BBK
Nov 7, 2006 by SSAndroid

hey guys, i was wondering what are better overall plates because that will determine what i get.

so what plate is better?

discuss

also, please no flaming (*shifty eyes towards AnthoFlex*)
Replies

Nov 7, 2006Rictor

BBKs (only because I found they're a lot easier to buy, I haven't seen Express anywhere, not even on eBay)

Nov 7, 2006SSAndroid

ok, thanx, ne1 else got a different reason?

Nov 7, 2006Rictor

give it a good 24 hours to get some good couple responses.

Nov 7, 2006mnsoaperns

express are cemented on plates, you buy shoes with them already on either way youll be getting a good plate whichever one you will choose ive used both
if u get a shoe without an express plate get a bbk with it youll love them.

Nov 7, 2006SSAndroid

ok ;)

Nov 7, 2006Rictor

while it's up, I have a question. are original grind plates any good? the shoes I ordered has the original grind plate on it, is there any point having them on or should I just swap them out with BBKs ASAP. I heard someone say that the originals are good for beginners.

Nov 7, 2006SSAndroid

well, im kinda a n00b to this forum rictor, so i would try looking at the comments left under the UHF original section under "plates"

Nov 7, 2006Rictor

yeah, I've read them. Some say "These Plates SUCK" while others say, "I like them" or "they're good for Beginners". I was hoping someone would comment with a good size annalysis on the originals, why they suck/why they're good for beginners.

Nov 7, 2006Kru

I'll reply what I can say from experience. The express plate is basically mid grade PVC pipe material molded into a grind plate. Original soap plates where made out of higher durable blends like delrin and other polymers. They stand up to grinding alot better and are more predictable on surfaces.

The express plate from what I've grinded on so far. Its varied. Any rail coated in something it becomes slippery like walking on a wood floor with wool socks. Yet on bare metal rails its great, contacts nicely. Rough surfaces chew the plate up- as well most concrete unless its painted concrete or very very smooth.

As well the express plate is all the new shoes have if your a diehard soaper( as I am ) then you deal with the downsides. But the older shoes have the advantage here. Tougher shoes, tougher plates.. better styling. Thats why we need to get these shoes back!

Nov 7, 2006Rictor

can you answer my above question? I guess BBK wins because it can be easily replaced with a new plate, instead of with a new shoe, if you grind something(s) that aren't good for grinding you'll either need a New BBK plate set or a new set of Express shoes.

Nov 7, 2006SPSR

Kru i dont know what is wrong with you and the express plate its the same material it's a awesome plate. and it deserves some respect. i mean come on the express plate is like perfect almost, it is perfect on smooth hand rails and is just all around nice. Ive never had any trouble with my old express plates on cement or ledges i actually prefer not to grind on cement ledges and the like though as to me it's not that fun.

as for the express plate it's not awefull but it takes some use to get a good lock on for the rails. you'll need to wear in a grove on the uhf plate. You can just swap to BBK or keep the UHF in either way you'll have a blast when soaping.

Nov 7, 2006shdook

I just got a pair of expresses sunday from my friend and they can grind my school curb amazingly(its pretty smooth but not painted)I also have a pair of BBK's on my ordnaces and they cant grind curbs too well unless you want them scratched up. Just go with whatever you think looks nicer since they are both amazing plates.

Nov 7, 2006Kile

I have gotten a pair of expresses a couple months ago, and I must
say they are quite good. And i baight a pair of Ordnance off ebay with bbks.

I would have to say neither of the plates are good. I know your probably thinking what is this kid stoopid. But here is my answer to this question. If you grind really hard with the express they'll be
gone quicker,but same with the bbk you grind hard they'll be gone quicker. Now it isnt a waste buying the express even though ur
plates are gone, You still got a perfectly good shoe to wear

Now people always say replacable grind-plates are better, and of course they are but if your a really hard soaper your plates and your shoes can be ripped our scratched so even replacing the
grind-plate wouldnt help. the shoe itself would be falling apart mostly the heel from breaking it in or the front of the shoe.

So i come to my conclusion When choosing a grind-plate pick what
you like and what you want to get. Dont get what people tell you to get. You might not always liek what people offer to you. But like I have said, Im not going to side with the Express Or BBK.

Nov 7, 2006AnthoFlex

Eyes shifting towards me? I aint gonna flame you dude, im just telling you whats up before any of the other "Big Bad" solidgrinderz tell you off, so dunt pull that on me....

And Express fucks BBk up anyday :)

Nov 7, 2006Kru

The major difference here for me is. The BBK plate is not part of the shoe its bolted on. Meaning the whole way of grinding is different as it has more surface area. The express plate is cemented on so you get less surface area and the entire shoe moves with the shoe. Well some might find this a better quality I do not.

I like the bolt on aspect because the plate sits parallel to the shoe were the set in express has to be angled up in the shoe to sit flat. The bolt on also wins to me because its replacable. 10 bucks instead of 90 bucks seems more logical to me.

I'm about the construction and engineering behind things. The HSL plate has its upsides but I like the complete practiability of the old gen Soaps. Replacable with any bolt on. HSL's is WYSIWYG

Nov 7, 2006Kru

entire shoe moves with the shoe.. correct the second shoe with *plate* .. I type too vigorously

Nov 7, 2006matrix8967

I like BBK....Express is nice...but BBK's got it beat...Express is kinda soft.....BBK is a tank...and replaceable

---Alex

Nov 8, 2006AnthoFlex

Express' own, they're Slobros w/ Octanes w/ Speedster's basic shape, HAHA beat that :)

Nov 8, 2006matrix8967

heh, ok, they're soft, and the curbs eat them and shit them out....also they're cemented...so if you break it, you gotta pay 50-120 bucks for a new pair....instead of like 12 for new bbks...

---Alex

Nov 8, 2006matrix8967

I have some express....they're nice...but my bbk's are nicer....I'm not scared to grind ANYTHING in those...but with my express I don't grind curbs or anything...

---Alex

Nov 8, 2006Rictor

^looks like matrix has the answer, now you can pick up BBKs for $6

Nov 8, 2006Kru

to add to the BBK the bolt on feature makes the plates move allowing the plate to pivot to the object its grinding on. A set on plate doesn't move as it becomes part of the shoe.

Nov 8, 2006SSAndroid

alright, sorry antho, and also, thanx for all the responses guys ;)

Nov 8, 2006SapAuthor

I've used both.

Okay, here's my bit on it. Express plates are good beginner plates becuase they have a V lock on, making them very good for that. They work good.

BBK are, overall, better. They allow more tweek ability to for advanced tricks. THe lock on is a little less, but it also allows for you to grind on some small non-round rails.

If you are starting, i say go express, plus you can support soaps by getting a pair from steve. Then, after you get better, after ur pair are done for, get some BBK plated ones.

Nov 8, 2006Curtinator

Wait Express should win. I have had my Expresses for 3 years or when ever I joined SG. They are still lasting to there not really hurt at all.

Nov 9, 2006SSAndroid

wait, whos steve and how do i get shoes from him?

Nov 9, 2006matrix8967

Bolted plates don't move...if they're bolted in good.

---Alex

Nov 17, 2006Kru

Express plate is getting on my nerves. If you don't hit the groove thats in it and get the raised area you just slide ride off.. rejected!

Nov 17, 2006SapAuthor

SSAndroid, Steve is the only new SOAP dealer. Although it's not finished, i uploaded what i have so far of the site, the order form is working so you can order a pair from it, although size 10-12 are still being shipped (HSL is slacking), and there are also ordnance flint shoes size 9 and 10 (limited quanitity).

www.sonicandpals.com/soaps/index.swf

Nov 18, 2006qnzwarrior

there both good plates cuz the bbk has speed and you can replace them and the express plate are a whole mess of plates but together ora super plate but like they are good the no-removeable plates so if they get missed up you cant do nothing about it

Jan 11, 2007AnthoFlex

im Sorry, i wanted to bring this back to the top to ask whoever said

I'd rather pay $10 for new BBKs (of UHFs) rather than $60-85 on a new pair of Express or sumthing like that....

So how about if they were Scorchers? Would you rather have the speedter plate or pay $10 for a new pair of UHFs (or BBKs)

Jan 11, 2007AnthoFlex

; )

Jan 11, 2007Kru

It's all preference. Not everyone wants the speedster plate. Me for one. I like the practical nature of screw in plates.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Zack Ricky hittin a Frontside on a long, fat, kinked rail.
Brett Dierker with a UFO
Dario Nieva hittin a Fastslide
Aaron Taraboletti hittin a Frontside at WIU
Is that a Soap sticker on that car?