Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Higher Rails
Oct 9, 2006 by SPSR

Okay so i've been soaping for a year or so now and i've been trying my hardest to get to the point where i can just jump on a waist high or so rail and grind. I can stall (like hold on to something then when i feel comfortable with my balance let go) and grind higher rails and i usualy just use my tall friend as a wall when there is nothing around to use. My question is, "is there any way to practice to lead to jumping on and keeping your balance before a grind?".

I've done it before then over the summer i had stuff come up and did not get to grind for a wile now it's just as hard as when i was starting out to jump on the rail. I think it has something to do with when i was frist learning i fractured my leg and now im unintentional "scared" of the rail as right before i jump on i feel my leg hurt and it kind twitches. to further this one of the people i got to start to soap with me feel and busted his "nuts" on a rail and now his grind is alot worse. is it just us or did anyone else have a bail or injury that made it a little harder to soap?
Replies

Oct 9, 2006SapAuthor

take it from me, the only way is to keep trying. Go find your own "perfect Rail" which is in my opinion, defined by a long rail with smooth and level ground on each side, at a slight angle. This will be your practice rail. Never practice going up on high rails on stuff like stairs (where if you fall your foot could land wrong) or ones with ledges or other objsticales on a side you coudl fall into. Next, once you find your rail, just keep trying. Really it's almost all mental. I was afraid too before I just did it, and once I did i found out it wasn't bad.

My hints for landing, depending on your vert (i have a rather large vertical jump), you want to land almost straight. Meaning try to land so you are in an up and down position. The other way of course would be to hit the rail at an angle like \. or ./ and try to balance ur way to ! but this doesn't work.

Run near Parrallel with the rail, at a small angle and do a big jump and land straight on the rail. keep your feet shoulder width, and until you get handle doing this i would wait on busting out tricks. It's all mind games.

For me, i haven't taken a major bail yet, just bruised up my left shin about 5 times (it's like permanently bruised), hit my wrist on cement, scraped myself up, that stuff. If you are worried, WEAR SAFETY GEAR. At least until you are comfertable, it's better to wear a bunch of stuff and look dorky but to improve with SOAP than to look nice but be to scared to hit the rail.

Now, as for your friend, the main reason people get a rail between the leg is they did'nt bring their front or back foot far enough up and that foot missed. Tell him if he's scared for his family jewels, have him wear a cup or something.

Just remember, whatever injury you get, get it either on tape or pics, cuz those are your battle scars, wear them with pride lol. I don't think any soaper here who is serious and has been doing it for a while can boast they never got injured. It's a dangerous sport, but so are other things.

So to sum it up, find your perfect rail (it took me 5 hours to find mine), get some gear (helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and if you keep on busting ur shin, maybe a shin gaurd, and a cup if you feel the need), approach the rail near parallel and make a good jump so you land straight on it. Once you do it a couple times, you should feel more and more comfertable with it.

Hope this rather lengthy post helps.

Oct 9, 2006matrix8967

yeah, there's a waist high rail i wanna try...but i suck at jumping....my friend can do it, but he lasts like 2 seconds and bails...so far i'm the best soaper i've heard of from anywhere NEAR where i live...

---Alex

Oct 9, 2006mnsoaperns

If its a relatively straight rail but high im fine for me its just angles, that scare me still, ever since I first started and I litterally flew off a rail horizontally after just landing on my back foot, it was a sweet fall but still scared of a repeat need to get over that.

Oct 9, 2006SPSR

mnsoaperns: is that you scott? sounds like you. SaPauthour: yeah i know what you mean by it's a mental thing, i CAN land on higher rails and grind when i don't have the fear (some of time) but i just need to work on my balance as sometimes i'll fall and almost die (haha not litteraly). I think by "Perfect Rail" you mean a nice practice rail, i have a few of them but i always fall off after a short interval (like 6 feet or so) i think i need to work on balance and just get out there and grind a lot more. im not too afraid of falling as me and my freinds all parkour as well as soap so we know how to take a fall, i think it's just my subconsious telling me not to try anything im not ready for so i don't bust my self again.

Oct 9, 2006Slidey

My balance is fucking great lol, but i can't get right up to hip hieght rails :( I don't get over it but I'll take your advice and hopefully I'll make it soon.

Oct 9, 2006SPSR

mine is decient (not the best not the worst) but after i land a high jump my balance gets fucked, and it's not as great as it was on the ground.

What do you guys think about how the feet should land? when i grind the lower rails i do fine (i can jump on with either back foot frist or front foot first.) but one of my friends jump on with both feet at the same time that seems to let him go pretty far.

Oct 10, 2006SapAuthor

SPSR, it's personal preference, although if you land back foot first you get more speed, front foot first you get more control, or that is what seems to be. I do front foot first.

Slidey, try this. Find a ledge that's hip height, and just practice jumping onto the ledge (no soaping, just jumping). Once you get confident enough that you can jump up onto them, Then try onto the rail. For me, i know my jumping ability, i can jump up to a ledge htat's at about the bottom of my rib cage heigh without hands, i have good leg muscles. Maybe even try working out, lift some weights and do leg exercises. Jumping up on rails is really the key ability, doing ground stuff doesn't compare much on vid to high railing. You can do it though!

Oct 10, 2006Slidey

The highest I've ever stalled ia about my rib cage hieght, and i can also stall rails my hip hieght and balance for like 10 secs or watever, but i cant do the rail lol, I'm workin on finding "the perfect rail" lol

Oct 10, 2006SPSR

SapAuthor, I can jump pretty high and i think it's more of how i get on the rail, now. as when i use my practice rail i set up in my yard i can jump about to where the middle of my ribb cage (im 5'11). but a rail about the same high or lower just tends to seem harder to jump on when it's not the practice rail in my yard.

Oct 10, 2006SapAuthor

Well, if it's just positioning, then you need to run close to paralel with the rail. This gives you the least likelyness to over lean and go off the other end.

Oct 11, 2006mnsoaperns

hmm i just got back in its about 12 am right now and I felt like grinding tonight my fear didnt get me as much, dont know what it is well see tomorrow if we try and grind some stuff man... did this sweet rail by my old place, really long by that dentists office I showed you and my confidence is back, hopefully it will stay that way throughout school tommorow.

Oct 11, 2006SPSR

Good i was sick of John being the only one to grind with. Chris stoped by my house last night and i fixed those homemade soaps of his (your old UHF is getting a bit worn down though)they are suprizingly sturdy chris seems to be getting a little better and he did not lie about grinding the saint paul radio building thing, he ground 2 sections of it and had help from Noah (how do you spell that name?) anyway, yeah lets see if your got back into your "groove" tomarrow. call me after school.

Oct 11, 2006mnsoaperns

heh maybe we should hitup chris's school and have a distance contest like we used to do, no help involved, I hit 2 skyway rails today and my balance is pretty much back felt great, and I hit that big wooden round block by the jewelers in the skyway got yelled at by some old hag but whatever, lets get some grinding done.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Derek Brooks hittin a Backside Farf
Wyatt Peterson hitting a fastslide on the practice rail
Alexei Tajzler of DEOS hittin an Alley-Opp CG in Wilmington, Delaware
Derek Brooks hittin a Frontside
Sean Fillenwarth hittin a Frontside