Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
my first bail
Oct 14, 2006 by somepunk

i just got my first pair of soaps yesterday, sylon dragonflies with bbks, and i went to rip some rails up at the school. I was doin pretty good, hit some rails, actually was slowly startin to get the feel for them....then smack, i fell clean an my ass off a staircase and broke my arm in three places, it was awesome. so how bout u guys, how was your first or worse.
Replies

Oct 14, 2006Surfaced

you broke your arm? so you have a cast now? you have only had your Soap shoes for ONE DAY?

You are trying to progress too quickly. We all learn at different speeds, due to previous experience (perhaps aggresive), naturally abilities/disabilities, etc. Really, do as you wish, but trying to do fully heightened railings immediately is suicidal.

As for me, the worst thing that has come from Soaping for me was a twisted ankle.

But as

Oct 14, 2006Surfaced

sorry about that "but as" at the end, I was about to continue and decided not to.

Oct 15, 2006somepunk

hey, thanks for the advice man, but yea, im in a cast, ate it off a staircase, pretty much worst-case scenario, next to dead, crappy way to learn, but hey, at least im learnin.

Oct 15, 2006SPSR

i got a hairline fracture on my leg on my frist bail. I did not stop soaping though (all my freinds who soaped with me keept saying that i whined alot untill i had this big ass lump on my leg.) Now hair dose not grow in that section. as Surfaced stated learn at a slow pace benches were awesome when i was first learning. I like the rule of if it's above your shin dont do it.

Oct 15, 2006AnthoFlex

Yea.....thats why you should use a practice rail or a lower rail when you FIRST soap....

Oct 15, 2006SapAuthor

lol i give you points for trying to hard, but yeah, take your time man, it takes months and even years to get really good, get the "feel" of landing on your plates each time isntead of rubber. Start low, then work your way up. I've been soaping for nearly half a year, and i'm just starting to get comfy with jumping onto hand rails lol.

Oct 16, 2006somepunk

yea, i had that problem the whole first day, i hit the rubber alot, its also kinda hard to get used to how fast those things can move going downhill, they slipped out right under my feet on the big bail. it might be a little while before i start again(once my arms healed, i'm not stoppin, thats for sure.) but thanz for the heads up , i'm pretty sure i've figured out to stay off the staircases lol.

Oct 17, 2006SPSR

man watch yourself on high landings. I completed a realy high grind today on a really steep incline the grind was fine and i went the entire distance but at the end on the landing i realy messed up myself, i sprained the crap out of my ankle (at least i hope it's sprained i'll probably head to the doctor's tomarrow to see if i broke it.) i cant walk or grind now this sucks.

Oct 17, 2006blakeashake

yea i think i broke my ankle while soaping like 2 months ago and i refused to go to the doctors and my ankle still hurts real bad. but i have learned to deal with the pain while i soap.

Oct 19, 2006Jard39

U should get that checked out. Cant have a SOAPer with a broken ankle killing himself.

Oct 20, 2006snares

hehe, sounds like you pushed it a little too hard on your first day man, but at you have some balls at least (no fear - rawr!).

my first day out i twisted my ankle pretty bad.
I've more recently progressed to higher rails (knee to waist height). Most of my bails have been safe.
However i just got back from a week in Hastings (UK coast), the place was ledge-heaven but didnt find many decent rails.
Finally managed to find one that was half-decent, and after a few grinds, i racked myself for the first time (made my girlfriend laugh).
That shit hurts man, lol.
Hasnt put me off though.

Oct 22, 2006SapAuthor

My first day was fine lol. I just had a low rail. So far the worst i've had was i missed the rail and my shin ran hard along the rail (like scraping), and then 10 minutes later the same thing happened, so my shin was killing me (if you see a vid of me with something black on my left shin, it's a pad, and that's why).

Seriously, take it a bit slower. it's good you have guts, cuz u'll need them to take on bigger things when you are ready, but you aren't ready yet lol. The key things are to get your sense of footing so the grind plate hits the rail each time, and also your balance. I'm still working on my balance, i went to the park today, and i learned that it's best to stand up as soon as I hit the rail, it's easier for me to balance standing than in a somewhat crouched position. Also learned that i'm back heavy, so i really need to lean forward more, commitment is hard -.-

Oct 22, 2006somepunk

haha snares, no fear is exactly what i said before i hit the rail, same thing me n my friends always say before we pull somehtin crazy, it didn't hurt too bad, i got back up, said"I'm not no-fearin anything for awhile" and had no clue my arm was broken, till I tried to go to work and they were like"dude, your elbow looks fuggin wierd!" haha, I'm about better now though, it wasn't too serious, i can already take my arm outta the splint and move it around, my wrist is still a little messed up though, but I'm far from quittin, first thing I'm doin once i can catch myself from fallin again is hittin some low rails to get my paractice on.

thanx for all the stuff to think about and look for guys, anyone here live in washington , near puyallup? lemme know

Oct 22, 2006SapAuthor

this coming from the son of a nurse, don't move it around. It's probably fractured, and any extra tension and make htings worse, it's in a sling for a reason.

Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Jordan Muck hittin a frontside at the Monmouth High School
Sequence of Bryndon sliding a huge kink.
Herr Blunt hittin a Frontside
Baker hittin a Frontside
Jordan Thompson hittin a Freestyle Fastslide